Sonos Google assistant with Sonos voice Control

• 30 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello, since I bought Sonos Beam my experience has not stopped deteriorating (impossible to broadcast from YouTube, Group impossible with other speakers, and recently Sonos devices can no longer be by default in Google home) . The reason is this war between Sonos and Google. Although on the bottom it is Google which is wrong and which is largely responsible for this bad experience, I could not replace goggle assistant. So it's my sonos that I risk replacing. Wouldn't there be a way to make google assistant and sonos voice control cohabit? THANKS

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi.  What do you mean by ‘impossible to broadcast Youtube’?  

There is no generic reason why grouping speakers should become impossible.

I think you need to turn your gaze from corporate legal disputes to your local network and system.

I’d start by rebooting your network Google and Sonos devices,  If that doesn’t help, get in touch with Sonos Support.

Hello, I have already restarted everything. I also deleted and reconnected the accounts.

Let me explain the issues mentioned. In Google Home, it is impossible to make multiroom groups with Sonos speakers and other brands.

Before I had an iPhone I could stream via AirPlay. Now impossible to do with Android. Spotify includes Spotify Connect to stream to Sonos. If you want to use YouTube Music, you have to do it from the Sonos application and you lose functionality (playlist, like, etc.). Unable to cast directly from the YouTube app.

I feel like Sonos is integrated with Google Home but doesn't have all the ChromeCast casting features.

Again I'm not saying that all the problems come from Sonos, it's more a rant. But to choose I will not take Sonos for lack of integration other than Apple. It's a shame because they are good products.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stevixm 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Google Assistant and Sonos Voice Control may not operate on the same device at the same time. Alexa and Sonos Voice Control, on the other hand, can co-habit the same speaker.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I agree with @Stevixm completely. Sonos Google Assistant support is basically unusable now. It is not the network setup or a technical issue on the customer side. Youtube music outage has been going on for almost 2 weeks. I see no ETA or comment when (if) this will be resolved. Even before experience was spotty on playback (playback does not start at all, playback starts 1 to 2 minutes after command,….)

I would be happy to switch to Sonos assistant if it supported YouTube music. Are there plans and is there an ETA on this? Is Sonos even allowed to use the Youtube API with another assistant?

It is very frustrating that this dispute is carried out on the backs of us customers.

Best regards.

P.S.: and switching to another service other than YouTube is not an option for me either.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Misread remark.

I wanted to test Sonos Voice Control and Alexa in an effort to resolve my issues. To my surprise YouTube Music is not supported. Do not tell me that all this is not related to the conflict with Google, even the latest Sonos no longer have google assistant. Moreover Alexa on my smartphone is not even able to call a contact outside Alexa. I am not for Google but at present it is the most complete. Its without the end of my Sonos. It's a shame, I really liked him.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It seems Sonos is caught between the demands of Google (no SVC with GA) and Amazon (no Youtube Music support). Not sure another brand does this better…..