sonos beam Google assistant - no devices found

• 26 November 2023
  • 23 replies

I had Sonos beam gen 2 for about a year, and I connected it to the Google Assistant with no problem.

My brother bought the same speaker but got stuck when connecting the Google Assistant with “no devices found,” and I tried to disconnect and reconnect with my system as well to see and help him and got stuck on the same error.

any ideas on how to solve it? saw some posts talked about unplugging and re plugging , changing networks etc etc but they didn’t worked for me

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @YoadM, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I would check that there isn’t any links still in the Google Assistant app, as that could be preventing you from setting it up again. I would also recommend that you reboot your network and system by powering off your Router, Sonos speaker, and controller that has the Sonos app on it. After you’ve done that, try adding Google Assistant back and see if you still have the same error.

If you can’t add it back, then it would be best to submit a diagnostics after trying to add Google Assistant then reaching out to our support team. They can look into the diagnostics to see what could be causing the issue and have the tools available to help resolve this with you.

I hope this helps!

Hey @Jamie A thanks for the reply.

I've tried this and much more (setting static ip, creating new google account, new sonos account, different location for thos accounts , vpn on router ,deleting the app, downgrade the app, etc , etc ,etc)

I've reached the support via chat and it was elevated to level 2 on the support.

I have the same issue; I bought a Sonos Beam 2nd generation. I am unable to connect it with Google Assistant. Additionally, I cannot sync it with Google Voice, as the Sonos app lacks the option to add Google Assistant voice; I can only add the Sonos voice.

I have the same issue; I bought a Sonos Beam 2nd generation. I am unable to connect it with Google Assistant. Additionally, I cannot sync it with Google Voice, as the Sonos app lacks the option to add Google Assistant voice; I can only add the Sonos voice.

Note the Google Assistant cannot be installed alongside any other voice assistant, so you will need to remove SVC and for good measure reboot the speaker too.

The first time I attempted to configure a voice assistant, there wasn't an option for Google Assistant or Alexa. do you know why?

The first time I attempted to configure a voice assistant, there wasn't an option for Google Assistant or Alexa. do you know why?

The GA should show for the Beam, if your country setting in your online Sonos profile is set to a location where it’s available on Sonos. See screenshot attached. (I’m based in the UK).

I got to a dead end with the support :/ I was transferred between representatives who asked me to do stuff I've done and replaying every 2-3 days ; the only progress is to have a phone call.

Is there any update or success for someone else?

Getting very frustrated. I didn’t buy new speakers on black Friday due to that thing (I wanted another Beam and one gen2) for me, Google Assistant support is crucial even more when I see newer products of Sonos not supporting it at all (all the era line products)

I updated the location in the Sonos Beam, and it's working now. I was able to configure both Google and Alexa. It was set to Romania, and I changed it to Spain.

btw, thanks @Ken_Griffiths 

@YoadM 
Just tested this and Google works fine here for products like the Beam/Roam etc. it discovers the devices on the same LAN subnet.

If it’s not working, then it might just be that your router or mobile device is perhaps blocking the device discovery over the LAN in some way. Maybe give Google Support a call as it’s working okay here.

@YoadM 
Just tested this and Google works fine here for products like the Beam/Roam etc. it discovers the devices on the same LAN subnet.

If it’s not working, then it might just be that your router or mobile device is perhaps blocking the device discovery over the LAN in some way. Maybe give Google Support a call as it’s working okay here.

hmm that’s odd :/ me and my brother still can’t connect i’m set to the uk with my account and tried with us as well....

as for the router with the sonos support we tried everything, even resetting the router itself also at some point someone from the support tried as well and wasn't able to set google assistant.

i;ve tried with S22 ultra and onepluse 7 pro devices

I’m in the UK too - it’s definitely working fine. Have you checked your profile for both Sonos and Google language as both being set to UK only? (Use one language only in Google).

Have you setup your Google Home?… if so, could try adding the Sonos skill/action manually and searching that way - note too that you can’t add Google Assistant if you have other voice assistants installed on the Beam, such as SVC.

@YoadM - who is your ISP? Are you using their router, or your own? Have you tried using a different DNS?

Both users are set on the UK and tried even with fresh new ones and with us ones for testing.

Google Home is set and can connect to the Sonos services and control it, but the assistant can’t find the speaker.

I don’t have any other voice assistants set on my speaker.

using privet router , tried different dns even setting my phone as hot spot connecting everything to it and didn’t worked :/

Both users are set on the UK and tried even with fresh new ones and with us ones for testing.

Google Home is set and can connect to the Sonos services and control it, but the assistant can’t find the speaker.

I don’t have any other voice assistants set on my speaker.

using privet router , tried different dns even setting my phone as hot spot connecting everything to it and didn’t worked :/

Dunno then🤷… it’s actually a Google provided service when it comes to their ‘Assistant App’ launching, scanning and detecting the local devices, so I would perhaps give their customer service a call and see if they can suggest things for you to perhaps try.

@YoadM,

Out of curiosity, does the Sonos Voice Assistant install on the speaker, just to see if that is perhaps working okay, you can always remove it afterwards. before attempting to install GA.

You could even try Amazon Alexa too, I guess. If they do work then it must be the way Google scan/discover their devices across the LAN and perhaps their customer support will know about some further things you can maybe try with your hardware/network setup.

@YoadM,

Out of curiosity, does the Sonos Voice Assistant install on the speaker, just to see if that is perhaps working okay, you can always remove it afterwards. before attempting to install GA.

You could even try Amazon Alexa too, I guess. If they do work then it must be the way Google scan/discover their devices across the LAN and perhaps their customer support will know about some further things you can maybe try with your hardware/network setup.

Alexa and sonos voice workes fine (sonos voice workes even in regions that alexa)/GA doesn't. 

I opend some times ego a thread in the GA community except of "needs further investigation " haven't heard anything.

Alexa and sonos voice workes fine (sonos voice workes even in regions that alexa)/GA doesn't. 

I opend some times ego a thread in the GA community except of "needs further investigation " haven't heard anything.

You clearly know what you’re doing - but my thoughts are it’s something local, do you have anything on the LAN that blocks ads, network security, QoS, Airtime Fairness or that kind of thing?

What make model of router is it? Are there any managed switches or ‘other’ wireless access points?

Have you tried cabling the speaker to the LAN as a temporary measure just to help get it setup. Also check for any Sonos/Google Updates.

Is there anything special about your Google account, such as more than one Home, or is it liked to another users Home etc? Is it just a basic individual users Google account?

Haha, I have troubleshooting this for a long time 😅

I have pi hole but it’s not set on the router only on specific devices. I also saw in some threads that it causes issues if it is set on the router as the DNS server, so even so, I tried to turn it off, and it didn’t help.

I have an Asus RT-AX56U router, no extra devices /range extender, etc; tried to connect via cable, but it didn’t work either.

Nothing special about my Google account, same account i have from when i was 15 haha just one home no other accounts connected to it, but also tried with a brand new one and as fresh restart as i can get and didn’t worked :/

@YoadM,

It seems like you definitely need the help of Google Support then. Hopefully their level 1 or 2 Support Staff will be able to resolve it with you. The fact Alexa scans and works seems to confirm it’s likely a Google Home detection issue.

Hope you can get it sorted and if so, will then post back here what the issue was… it would be nice to know the outcome.

I have pi hole but it’s not set on the router only on specific devices. I also saw in some threads that it causes issues if it is set on the router as the DNS server, so even so, I tried to turn it off, and it didn’t help.

I have an Asus RT-AX56U router, no extra devices /range extender, etc; tried to connect via cable, but it didn’t work either.

Nothing special about my Google account, same account i have from when i was 15 haha just one home no other accounts connected to it, but also tried with a brand new one and as fresh restart as i can get and didn’t worked :/

Did you fix it?

Just got a Beam 2 and having the same nightmare!

@BeamingNightmare,

If not tried already here’s a few things to try…

Did you fix it?

Just got a Beam 2 and having the same nightmare!

At that time i just gave up on it, after some time it just worked..…

Idk why or how much time after (weeks,months) it worked but it did 🤷🏻

Make sure your sonos account is on supported country such as the uk or us and just leave it and come back to it from time to time 

So this morning

I still can't add voice assistant in the Sonos app

But the Google home app let me link the Sonos skill

So the beam is listed in Google home

Progress with no reason why

I'll keep trying the voice assistant part every day 🤷‍♂️😂