Answered

Setup Google Assistant, Guide-video not matching app, not working

When trying to follow the Google Assistant setup guid and the small gif showing how th app should look, the “Add Google Assistant” button is not present in the app while it shows in the clip.

When following the, I don't get past the guide page in the app telling me to install the app, login in and adding my Sonos and my Music services.

My Sonos devices has been added in the Google Assistant app, and the music service as well without any issues.

The Google App just reports that it cannot find my units.

Does an updated point-by-point guide exist that actually matches the Sonos app(and maybe even also the Google Assistant app?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 April 2023, 02:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Are these the setup steps you are referring to?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/set-up-the-google-assistant-with-a-voice-enabled-sonos-product

Yes, exactly those, and exactly that GIF that is not matching th actuals in the app.

Ah the recent update is quite similar. I just tried it on my iPhone and this is what I see now…

Just the speaker/room selector screen is different for the later S2 App, but it otherwise still works the same as before.

If you are unable to get the GA setup process to find your ‘compatible’ Sonos speaker (must not be an Era device etc.) then check your Country/Language settings in both the Google App and your Sonos online profile and then try power-cycling your speaker and mobile controller device, before trying the setup again.

Make sure your controller is not being blocked from finding the chosen Sonos device due to security software installed on the phone/tablet, such as MAC spoofing, VPN client, firewall software etc.

Yes, exactly those, and exactly that GIF that is not matching th actuals in the app.

The .gif animation you see in the Sonos support document is ‘probably’ still correct for the older S1 Sonos App, but things have been updated slightly for the newer S2 App, which is perhaps part of the S2 ongoing development.

Button is missing.

I actually bought the Era 100 for exactly this purpose. - Replacing a Play:1 with a device that could also be used for voice assistant. - So you are saying that I need to return the Era100? Why would one crate a new speaker with a Microphone it in without it working with a voice assistant? 

The video has a button called “Add Google Assistant”, while the ral life S2 app does not, so there is nowhere to click, nowhere to move on from the “guide” only possible to close it on the “x”. 

It sounds like you’re perhaps trying to add the Google Assistant to a speaker that currently does not support it. The Era-100/300 series of speakers only support the SVC and Alexa voice assistants, as publicised and widely mentioned online during their launch, and prior to their launch too. 

It sounds like you’re perhaps trying to add the Google Assistant to a speaker that currently does not support it. The Era-100/300 series of speakers only support the SVC and Alexa voice assistants, as publicised and widely mentioned online during their launch, and prior to their launch too. 

That might be it. I have to admit this was th first time I reacting on one of the advertising emails sent to me. 

I read “support for Google Assistant” and The new and wonderful ERA100. 

My experience with it is also that it has a lot worse sound quality and a connection issues, prefers to connect to 2.4Ghz, yet it only works when forced to 5Ghz. 

It's a lot lesser speaker than the first gen Play:1 I was replacing with it. 

Is this were we are at with Sonos now? 

If we also have to add the fact that it does not support the only multiple language sound assitant available. (despite writing it all over)

Am I the only one very dissapointed?

Hi Lars

No, you’re not the only one thats very dissapointed. 

I also think it is a very big step backwards, that Sonos does not allow Google Assistant. It worked great on my Sonos One.I really hope that Sonos upgrades, so that we can use Google Assistant again as soon as possible
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, until Alexa and SVC do other languages (Dutch in my case) the Era’s are not for me.