Setting Sonos speaker as the default speaker

• 1 July 2019
  • 6 replies

Does anyone know if a future update will allow a Sonos speaker to be set as the default speaker for a google home room? Its so frustrating this option is not available on release!

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Does anyone know if a future update will allow a Sonos speaker to be set as the default speaker for a google home room? Its so frustrating this option is not available on release!

Surely that will be a Google App setting, like it is for Amazon Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That feature wasn't available at release and isn't yet available (unless I missed the announcement somehow). I'm sure this is on the development radar since it was a highly desired feature for Alexa. It took a year before it came to Alexa, but I don't think we'll have to wait that long for it to come to Google. Partially because it's highly desired and partially because Google already has somewhat of a mechanism in place to accomplish the feature (where Alexa did not).
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Just setup GA on my Sonos One. There is an option to setup default speaker in the Google app, have you tried that?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just setup GA on my Sonos One. There is an option to setup default speaker in the Google app, have you tried that?

That option is not available. If you go into Google Home app and select setting for a mini/home device the default speaker only lists other Google speakers or third party such as Sony, JBL and LG. Sonos didn't build in this basic feature!

You can also select any Bluetooth speaker as a default.

Poor by Sonos really!
Userlevel 4
Badge +10

That option is not available. If you go into Google Home app and select setting for a mini/home device the default speaker only lists other Google speakers or third party such as Sony, JBL and LG. Sonos didn't build in this basic feature!

You can also select any Bluetooth speaker as a default.

Poor by Sonos really!

All my Sonos speakers appears in that list. Have you tried scanning for your speaker in the GA app.

All my Sonos speakers appears in that list. Have you tried scanning for your speaker in the GA app.

You are mistaken. Sonos speakers do not currently appear in that list.