Samsung Q95T, SONOS Beam and Google Assistant

• 1 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a Samsung Q95T set up with SONOS Beam (via HDMI3 (ARC)) on the ONECOnnect Box and Google Assistant fully set up on the Beam and the TV. I’ve also set the TV and SONOS system up via the SmartThings app on my ‘phone.

Everything works as it should, with Google Voice Assistant on the Beam functioning correctly.  However, if I instruct ‘Google’ to play music, taking the Beams source away from the TV to my YouTube subscription, I can’t find a way of then telling Google to revert the audio source for the Beam back to the ‘TV’ input.

If I tell it to ‘play TV’, it tries and then tells me there’s a problem as it cannot control my TV.

Has anyone else encountered this same challenge with this kind of set up? Is there anyway to ‘tell’ Google to change the audio source of the SONOS Beam to ‘TV’ or is the only way to do this by accessing the SONOS app on your phone and selecting the ‘TV’ input yourself?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LamMartland, thank you for reaching out to us and for bringing this concern to us.

Let me ask some questions to isolate the issue to help you out.

1. Is TV Autoplay enabled in the Sonos app?
    • Settings > System > [Home Theater Room] > TV Autoplay.
  2. After checking the settings, try asking Google Assistant to turn on the TV. Did it work?
  3. Have you tried giving a specific command? For example “Hey Google, turn on the Living Room TV”

To see if this clears up the issue, you can try removing Google Assistant from Sonos and setting it up again. This will ensure that your Sonos is using the correct Google account and re-establish the connection with Google Assistant servers. You can also run through our Google Assistant troubleshooting guide. If the recommended steps do not resolve your issue, please contact Sonos Customer Care for further assistance. Please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.

Badge

I followed all those steps (including removing and reinstalling Google Voice Assistant) and whilst Google Voice Assistant on my Beam will turn the TV off when it’s on, it fails to turn it on when it’s off - advising ‘Sorry, it looks like Bedroom TV isn’t available right now’.

And I still have no idea how to change the input source for the Beam to ‘TV’ using Google Voice Assistant or if that is even possible?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @LamMartland,

Thanks for your response and for your updates. You have already performed most of the basic troubleshooting steps to get this done and Google Assistant should be working, however, it is not. I appreciate your time working with me but It would be best for you to contact our phone support team to look into this and do further tests to find out what's causing the issue. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, I'll be glad to assist you.