Question

Not able to play new song on Spotify with Google Home

• 17 October 2020
  • 1 reply

I have connect my Play:1 with Google assistant and am frequently using my Google Nest Hub to start songs, control playback and volume. But one thing never works, asking it to play another song.

"Play SONG 1 on Sonos" 

Works like a charm, but if am currently playing as song and say something like:

"Play the song SONG 2"

I get the following response:

"okay, playing SONG 2 on [name of my Sonos speaker]. I'm sorry that mode isn't available right now" 

So obviously Google Home is recognising that I'm currently using the Spotify service on Sonos but something (on the Sonos side?) is stopping it. What? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @joacim.l.svensson@gmail.com, thank you for reaching us out and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking for the resolution. Let me help you with this.

Your Sonos Play 1 and Google Nest should be in the same network to be able to communicate. If you're getting an error when you ask Google Assistant to play music, there should be in the settings or configuration that you need to check.

• Have you been experiencing this issue since the first time you set it up?
  • How far is your Play 1 from your router? Can you try moving it closer if there's an improvement?
  • Have you tried removing and re-adding the Sonos device in Google Assistant? How about changing your Sonos Play 1 room name? 
  • Have you tried to sign out from your Google accounts from your browser on your device controller?
  • Have you tried rebooting your network and Sonos devices? How did Google Assistant work after?

If you're still experiencing the same problem, I recommend contacting Google to further assist you with this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.