Sticky Answered

Move 2 loses Google Assistant

• 22 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2

I was quite frankly shocked that the new and improved Move 2 actually has diminished functionality compared to its predecessor. It’s jarring to discover that a new generation of technology is less integrated, less compatible and less useful. Like many in this community, I’ve set up a vast wireless system complete with several smart devices and Sonos has always been an integral component to controlling the entire system. I hope that this will be resolved, otherwise perhaps the original Move and all of the older Google Assistant compatible Sonos speakers are the better solution. This is a real shame since great audio quality is what we’re here for, but not without the utility we’ve come to expect from Sonos. Thanks so much.

Perry

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 22 September 2023, 14:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If English is your native language, at least you can also use SVC or Alexa. For my native language Google Assistant is the only option. Sonos has said Google changed the rules on them and made it much harder to make newer speakers work with GA.

I bought my Move 2, upgrading from the previous version, where it clearly states that it is comparible, only to find out is not.

https://support.sonos.com/en/article/set-up-the-google-assistant-with-a-voice-enabled-sonos-product

Nos sure if will return the speaker and stay with Move 1 until this is fixed, I use GA with nest alerts.

Agree with Perry, a real shame!

Fernando

Yes, it’s certainly unfortunate that Google changed the requirements, and removed the Sonos Move 2 from the approved devices. Wish that there was anything Sonos could do, but going up against Google seems like a big challenge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ferdelat Not sure what you are saying. The page you linked to clearly states: “The Google Assistant is available on all voice-enabled Sonos products except for Era 100, Era 300, and Move 2.” So you could have checked.

I do think the Sonos system is still open to GA, so using a Nest Mini could do the trick - I’m not sure how this would work with a non-stationary speaker like the Move though.

@Airgetlam As I understand Sonos’ explanation it’s not that Google made it impossible to have GA on the newer Sonos’ devices (not only the Move 2, but also the Era’s), but that Google has made it harder for Sonos to implement GA. Based on that it was Sonos’ decision to not take this further. We just do not know what Sonos’ considerations where for this, but I would have liked that the better language skills on GA would have played a bigger role in this. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@ferdelat Not sure what you are saying. The page you linked to clearly states: “The Google Assistant is available on all voice-enabled Sonos products except for Era 100, Era 300, and Move 2.” So you could have checked.

I do think the Sonos system is still open to GA, so using a Nest Mini could do the trick - I’m not sure how this would work with a non-stationary speaker like the Move though.

@Airgetlam As I understand Sonos’ explanation it’s not that Google made it impossible to have GA on the newer Sonos’ devices (not only the Move 2, but also the Era’s), but that Google has made it harder for Sonos to implement GA. Based on that it was Sonos’ decision to not take this further. We just do not know what Sonos’ considerations where for this, but I would have liked that the better language skills on GA would have played a bigger role in this. 

I own a first generation Move and using a separate Nest speaker (in this case a Nest Hub) to control it works just fine. The Move is set as the default speaker for the Nest Hub, so all music gets played on that instead of the Nest. Same thing with my Five - using a separate Nest speaker to control music playback works well (keeping in mind all the limitations GA on Sonos has).

The Sonos service is of course still available in the Google Home app, and since all Sonos speakers show up inside Google Home (including the Move and the non voice-enabled Five), I could imagine that speakers like the Era 100 would show up inside the app as well and could be used as a default music speaker when used with a Nest Hub or a Nest Mini for instance. I cannot confirm this works though since I don’t own any of those speakers.

Edit: @ferdelat Perhaps you could confirm whether the Move 2 shows up inside the Google Home app? If it doesn’t, select ‘Settings’ inside Google Home, then ‘Works with Google’, then ‘Sonos’ and finally ‘Check for new devices’. This would help me and others who wish to buy Sonos’ newer products too!

Yes it is a shame and also a gamechanger for me.

Really bad because I really enjoy my Sonos Move and are at the moment looking to upgrade my complete house with a multiroom system.

i was aiming to add another Move, 2x Era 300, 1x arc and 4x Era 100. I’m also considering an outdoor system.

But.. I also use Google for my smart home and my car so now when this wont work I have to consider another setup and most probably another brand. Too bad.. 

Yes it is a shame and also a gamechanger for me.

Really bad because I really enjoy my Sonos Move and are at the moment looking to upgrade my complete house with a multiroom system.

i was aiming to add another Move, 2x Era 300, 1x arc and 4x Era 100. I’m also considering an outdoor system.

But.. I also use Google for my smart home and my car so now when this wont work I have to consider another setup and most probably another brand. Too bad.. 

In perhaps a somewhat similar way, I got rid of all my Google Hubs/Nest Display devices and switched to Amazon Alexa and personally speaking I’m finding that assistant is working much better than Google ever did with Sonos. Alexa also works well with our Hive Heating, Hue Lights, Louvolite Blinds, Smart Plugs and Cameras - I no longer recommend using the Google assistant to family, or friends - their service seemed to be becoming too isolated compared to Amazon Alexa that integrates with so much more and it’s nice to now see I can use it alongside the SVC service too for grouping/ungrouping speakers, group-volume-control …and playback/control of Apple and Amazon (Atmos/UltraHD) music, that’s something that Google has never allowed on my Sonos speakers… ever !!

It’s sometimes a case of "knowing on which side your bread is buttered”.

As I have Google in my car as well and use the assistant daily to check battery/charging status, starting preheating etc I still need to continue with google.. 

As I have Google in my car as well and use the assistant daily to check battery/charging status, starting preheating etc I still need to continue with google.. 

Or just use both Google and Alexa - I see no issues with perhaps doing that in some places in/around the Home.

For a moment, I thought you were using Google Assistant to preheat your oven.  Took me a second  to realize you were still talking about your car, presumably an EV.