How can I get Sonos to skip or stop using GA?

• 2 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone. I have been struggling with my Sonos One (Gen2) which was delivered yesterday. I have got set up GA somewhat satisfactorily now so it will play Spotify and do some other stuff, but it doesn’t seem to understand simple things like “skip”, “next”, “pause”, “stop”. It will play tracks and change volume, but not most of the basic listed here with Spotify: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

Any idea what the issue could be? Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hello there @alexpuzzle, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. to assist you on this issue with Google Assistant, I would suggest for you to check on this article about Controlling Sonos with Google Assistant, in the article are the commands that would work with Sonos. but I guess it’s the same article that you provided. What features or commands are you looking for? Because in Sonos, all the possible commands for Google Assistant to work with the Music services are included in that article. Or if I may ask if what is the response of the Google assistant after each command? are there any errors that the Google assistant is stating? If you have other questions about your Sonos products and services, feel free to reach out.

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi Simon

Saying “pause”, “stop”, “next”, “previous”, and “skip” and longer variants thereof, do not work and result in "Sorry, I didn't understand”.

But saying “play X”, where X is the artist or band, will usually play _something_, but it can be hit and miss what it actually plays! “mute” and “unmute” also work, as well as the variants of volume changes.

I’ve tried retraining my voice as well with GA to no avail. The above behaviour is pretty consistent: I am not sure I have ever had the first set of phrases work.