Answered

Google home control not working - prevented by Move voice assistant option?

• 18 April 2021
  • 3 replies

For quite some time now my Google Home Hub can not control my connected Sonos speakers, no matter what command I give. I unlinked and link the Sonos service multiple times and all speakers appear in their correct rooms in the Google home app. 

Whenever I select a speaker in the app though, I don’t get any controls (think I used to?) just a screen with basic information: 

Sonos speaker in Google home app

Also, when I select ‘Media’ in the Google home app, my ‘kitchen display’ (the Home Hub) is the only device shown. 

I tried to do the voice assistant set up via the Sonos app as shown in Set up a Google Assistant device to control Sonos but instead of the option to ‘set up your google home to work with Sonos’ shown in the GIF, I only get the option to ‘Add to Sonos’ which brings up the option to set up Google assistant on my Move (which has this function built in of course). Not what I want I don’t think. I don’t want the Move responding to my Hey Google, commands, just the Home Hub, which I want to be able to control all speakers including the move. 

Any thoughts as to why Home Hub cant control my Sonos speakers?

icon

Best answer by James L. 19 April 2021, 10:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @PhilipVallender, welcome to the community.

You’re on the right track here. You should follow the steps to “Add to Sonos” as this will link your Sonos household with your Google household through the Sonos action. If it does enable GA on your Move, you should be able to go into the Sonos app afterwards and disable it from the System settings.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Sonos speakers don’t support media control from the Google Home app itself, only via voice commands, the Sonos app and select apps such as Spotify, Audible and Pandora as Sonos devices don’t support the Chromecast streaming protocol.

Sonos speakers don’t support media control from the Google Home app itself, only via voice commands, the Sonos app and select apps such as Spotify, Audible and Pandora as Sonos devices don’t support the Chromecast streaming protocol.

Is that documented somewhere? Because I know a variety of features have worked in the past but then they frequently stop for no apparent reason until I unpair and repair everything. I’ve done this maybe 3 or 4 times now.