Question

Google Assistant whispers

• 1 November 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a couple of stereo-paired Sonos Ones that play music all day in our living room. Google Assistant is installed and up until a couple of weeks ago, worked flawlessly.

But now the GA’s voice is a whisper. I haven’t touched the volume of the music playing and so far GA has been responding perfectly, but now it whispers.

I’ve looked everywhere for an option to adjust the volume of GA but can’t find any. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the GA and rebooted the speakers many times, but nothing has helped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

/Thomas

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ThomasK, thank you for reaching out to us, and welcome to the Sonos community. We really appreciate your time and effort in bringing this concern to us. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask some questions to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. Do you have other Sonos devices with Google Assistance installed? If so, how does Google Assistant work on those devices?
2. Have you tried rebooting your network and Sonos devices? How did Google Assistant work after?
3. Have you tried connecting your Sonos speaker to your router via ethernet cable?
4. Is your Google account updated with your current location?

To see if this clears up the issue, please remove Google Assistant from your Sonos devices, and then re-add it back. Does the issue still continue, or does it seem to improve? You can also run through our Google Assistant troubleshooting guide.

We would like to have you submit a diagnostic of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. This will allow us to see how your system is functioning, and help provide a resolution.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We’ll wait for your reply.

Hi Rowena!

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate that. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. I have only the two Sonos One smart speakers. I also have a couple of Ikea/Sonos speakers but they don’t have Google Assistant. I have a Google Nest Hub and a Google smart speaker as well. Google Assistant works just fine on them.
  2. I have rebooted everything several times, both network devices (all of them!) and the Sonos speakers. This made no difference.
  3. Yes I have. This made no difference.
  4. I’m not sure what that means. I can’t find any location in my Google Apps. Or maybe I’m just blind :-) Could you elaborate on this?

I’ve also removed and added the Google Assistant from the speakers several times. This made no difference. I submitted a diagnostic with the number 1913257249.

I hope this helps and thanks again for your interest in my problem :-)

/Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ThomasK, thank you for your response and for answering all the questions. Also for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check on it.

Based on the diagnostic, there's interference in your wireless network that may be caused by wireless congestion or low wireless range; an audio dropout was detected in your due to a sync error. These network-related issues that may be causing the issue.

To resolve this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. I understand that you have done this step already. However, this needs to be done sequentially.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

Note: You can check if your location is updated on this link. If you're having any issues, you may reach out to Google to further assist you.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, turn off Google smart speakers to check if Google Assistant will work on Sonos.

If the same problem persists, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Hi Rowena!

I did a sequential reboot twice, no difference. I unplugged Google smart speakers, made no difference either.

Thanks for your help, I’ll contact Sonos Customer Care.

/Thomas

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ThomasK, thank you for your response. Please provide your full network setup including the make and model of each device when you reach out to our Sonos Customer Care to check compatibility with Sonos. If you need help with any other information, please feel free to reach out. The Sonos community is always here to help.