Software News

Google Assistant Voice Match Available on Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

Through cloud updates, Google Assistant has added the ability to set up Voice Match on voice enabled Sonos devices. This feature has rolled out to all households where Google Assistant is available.

Voice Match allows you to teach the Google Assistant to recognize your voice. If you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.

This enables personalized results for the person asking Google Assistant questions. For more information about Voice Match, see the Google article here.Ā 

Ā 

Here are the steps to enable Voice Match straight from the Google article linked above:

Ā 

Link your voice

To use Voice Match, you must link a Google Account to the Google Assistant device. If you have multiple Google Accounts, you can choose which account you want to use.

1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Home app Google Home.

2. At the bottom, tap Home Home and then Settings Settings.

3. Under "Google Assistant services," tap More settings.

4. Tap AssistantĀ  and then Voice Match and then Add devices.

5. Follow the steps.

When you link your voice and use the Google Assistant in US English, the Google Assistant automatically acknowledges when you ask it for something politely.

27 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Nice! Does that also mean that users can link their own Spotify account from a familyĀ plan to their voice and each start their own stream on a speaker without stopping the music from another family member listening to Spotify started with theirvoice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Nice! Does that also mean that users can link their own Spotify account from a familyĀ plan to their voice and each start their own stream on a speaker without stopping the music from another family member listening to Spotify started with theirvoice?

Yes. If youā€™ve linked each of those Spotify accounts in your Google Home app and set up voice match for them, you should be able to use the different accounts with your voices.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Yes. If youā€™ve linked each of those Spotify accounts in your Google Home app and set up voice match for them, you should be able to use the different accounts with your voices.

Wow, that is really great!

Is this indicative of Chromecast support in the future?

Hello,

Is it US English only? I canā€™t find the setting in French (ca).

Ā 

Is this going to be available soon?

Ā 

Thanks.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Gimrigz.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.Ā I totally understand where you're coming from and Iā€™m here to help.

Here are the current countriesĀ Google Assistant is currently available.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Ā 

Ā 

It still doesn't support multiple voice profiles, so you can't have multiple people. One of the sonos support team confirmed that today over online chat.

Since all Sonos does is pass the input on the microphone to the voice serviceā€™s cloud processing, that would be on the individual voice services. Sonos doesnā€™t do any processing of voice commands within the Sonos ecosystem.Ā 

Yeah, found how to do it through Google assistant on my device.

Open assistant -> your profile/settings -> voice match -> add devices -> then select the devices you need to give access to your voice data.

This will have to be done for every person outside of the first person who can use the sonos app. Frustrating that sonos doesn't give the instructions for this and trying to open it through the sonos app tries to open google assistant then just goes straight back to the sonos app. Seems like something they should be able to fix and would expect on high quality devices and companies.

Since all Sonos does is pass the input on the microphone to the voice serviceā€™s cloud processing, that would be on the individual voice services. Sonos doesnā€™t do any processing of voice commands within the Sonos ecosystem.Ā 

Based on this answer, would my problem be in Google's end then?

I have set up voice match for me and my wife but I canā€™t get the assistant to play songs on Spotify in the Sonos beam when my wife asks for it.
The assistant identifies itā€™s my wife and tries to play her favorite playlist but right after that, it says it canā€™t play because it needs the same Spotify account to be linked to the Sonos app and google assistant.

I have both our Spotify accounts in the Sonos app with different names so I expected it to work.

Can you confirm if this is supported or not @Mark PĀ ?

Ā 

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @leogdiniz.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, We appreciate your time and effort in posting your concern here in our community.

Yes, @AirgetlamĀ is correct.

Any voice services areĀ just passing thruĀ Sonos speakersĀ all system process of voice commands are coming from google cloud.

You can also check this link for Help and tips for Google Assistant on SonosĀ if still doesn't work correctly then time to call Google support.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks @MarkPĀ 

For may happy surprise the voice match with two Spotify accounts started working this morning. Uhu \o/

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @lepord221.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

Glad it works now.Ā 

Did it just work all of a sudden?Ā 

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Yep @Mark P.
The assistant wouldnā€™t play when my wife asked for it but after a few hours we tried again and it was working.

We experience the problem that Sonos/Google only remember the voice match settings of the last user who set it up in the Google Give app.Ā 

So after i have set it up, Google home on Sonos One does recognize my voice. Then, street my wife links get voice match to the same Sonos One the device starts telling me that it does not recognize my voice.

Thanks - this was the reason that a few of our family members would end up going back to my default account. I had not done this last step, and it was not obvious that this was the issue.Ā 

Link your voice to your devices with Voice Match

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Was there ever any resolution to this? We seem to be running into something similar here where both my partner and I have set-up Voice Match on our Sonos One but when she requests music via Google Voice, it uses my Spotify account such that if Iā€™m using Spotify at work on my computer it will say that itā€™s being used at home.

Iā€™m also unclear how even with Voice Match it would know which Spotify account to use.

I have the issue that my partner does not find the Sonos Beam under Voice Match. It just cannot be discovered... Any ideas how to fix?

Ā 

Edit: fixed it, seems to be an issue with iOS

Ā 

Ā 

However the Beam is still saying that my partners voice is unknown although the Beam is added to her voice match... Will wait a couple of hours...

Was there ever any resolution to this? We seem to be running into something similar here where both my partner and I have set-up Voice Match on our Sonos One but when she requests music via Google Voice, it uses my Spotify account such that if Iā€™m using Spotify at work on my computer it will say that itā€™s being used at home.

Iā€™m also unclear how even with Voice Match it would know which Spotify account to use.

It knows it because you have two different Google accounts and your Google accounts have it's own Spotify linked to it.

Ok added Voice Match but I still won't work... Any ideas why?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

It knows it because you have two different Google accounts and your Google accounts have it's own Spotify linked to it.

Ā 

Where is this happening? The only set-up weā€™ve done is to add both Spotify accounts to Sonos and then each of us set-up voice match. I donā€™t remember ever telling Google which Spotify account belongs to which person.

Ā 

Where is this happening? The only set-up weā€™ve done is to add both Spotify accounts to Sonos and then each of us set-up voice match. I donā€™t remember ever telling Google which Spotify account belongs to which person.

Google Home -> Settings -> MusicĀ 

There you can connect your Spotify account to your Google account.

Ā 

I think Sonos App also has to be connected to both Spotify accounts.

Ā 

Ohr voice match is now also working. I had to setup everything from scratch in Google Home and Sonos.

Badge

Am I missing something here?Ā 

Ā 

In the OP and on the Sonos support pageĀ https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_USĀ , it says, ā€œIf you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.ā€Ā  But this isnā€™t true is it? Or is it?

Ā 

I have been trying to set up multiple (2) Google Assistant voice matches on my ā€˜Roamā€™ and a couple of ā€˜Onesā€™.Ā  I havenā€™t found a way of doing it, and all the information I can find says it is not possible - apart from the above quote from Sonos clearly suggesting it is.Ā  Even the Google page linked from the sentence quoted above says, ā€œThis feature doesn't work on ..Ā Sonos speakersā€.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I can link one ā€˜Google Assistantā€™ account to each speaker.Ā  WhenĀ asked a ā€˜personalā€™ question, Google Assistant will return user-specific results on a speaker linked to the voice of the person asking the question, but will say it canā€™t answer if anyone else asks. On speakers linked to my own voice (Google Assistant account)Ā I can ask, ā€œwhat is my name?ā€ and I will get the correct answer.Ā  If my wife asks the same question then Google Assistant canā€™t answer.Ā  The reverse is true of speakers linked to my wifeā€™s voice.Ā 

Ā 

While I understand (AFAIK) that Sonos doesnā€™t actually support multiple Assistant Accounts on the same speaker, why on earth does the Sonos Support page say you can do it?Ā  Is it possible or not?Ā  If not then Sonos needs to say so.Ā  Whatā€™s going on here Sonos?!

Ā 

Nowā€¦Ā of courseā€¦ I expect someone will comment that Sonos can ā€œprovide user-specific responsesā€, but only if the person asking is the one and only person registered to that speaker.Ā  By no stretch of the imagination does this fulfil the full claim that,Ā ā€œIf you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.ā€Ā 

Ā 

:thinking:

Ā 

In the OP and on the Sonos support pageĀ https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_USĀ , it says, ā€œIf you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.ā€Ā  But this isnā€™t true is it? Or is it?

Ā 

I have been trying to set up multiple (2) Google Assistant voice matches on my ā€˜Roamā€™ and a couple of ā€˜Onesā€™.Ā  I havenā€™t found a way of doing it, and all the information I can find says it is not possible - apart from the above quote from Sonos clearly suggesting it is.Ā  Even the Google page linked from the sentence quoted above says, ā€œThis feature doesn't work on ..Ā Sonos speakersā€.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I can link one ā€˜Google Assistantā€™ account to each speaker.Ā  WhenĀ asked a ā€˜personalā€™ question, Google Assistant will return user-specific results on a speaker linked to the voice of the person asking the question, but will say it canā€™t answer if anyone else asks. On speakers linked to my own voice (Google Assistant account)Ā I can ask, ā€œwhat is my name?ā€ and I will get the correct answer.Ā  If my wife asks the same question then Google Assistant canā€™t answer.Ā  The reverse is true of speakers linked to my wifeā€™s voice.Ā 

Ā 

While I understand (AFAIK) that Sonos doesnā€™t actually support multiple Assistant Accounts on the same speaker, why on earth does the Sonos Support page say you can do it?Ā  Is it possible or not?Ā  If not then Sonos needs to say so.Ā  Whatā€™s going on here Sonos?!

Ā 

Nowā€¦Ā of courseā€¦ I expect someone will comment that Sonos can ā€œprovide user-specific responsesā€, but only if the person asking is registered to that speaker.Ā  By no stretch of the imagination does this fulfil the full claim that,Ā ā€œIf you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.ā€Ā 

Ā 

I have my Sonos Beam running with multiple Voice matches.

Ā 

You need to configure it properly and maybe need to start from scratch.

If you want to use Spotify for multiple users, all Spotify accounts have to be linked in the Sonos App.

Ā 

Also one point which you could have missed is:

Ā 

Google Home ā†’Ā Profile Icon (top right) ā†’Ā Assistent Settings ā†’Ā Devices ā†’Ā select your device ā†’Ā PersonalĀ Events (make sure it's checked)

Google Home ā†’Ā Profile Icon (top right) ā†’Ā Assistent Settings ā†’ Voice Match ā†’Ā make sure your device is listed, otherwise add it.

Both settings on top need to be checked on all Google Accounts

Ā 

Badge

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Nowā€¦Ā of courseā€¦ I expect someone will comment that Sonos can ā€œprovide user-specific responsesā€, but only if the person asking is registered to that speaker.Ā  By no stretch of the imagination does this fulfil the full claim that,Ā ā€œIf you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.ā€Ā 

Ā 

I have my Sonos Beam running with multiple Voice matches.

Ā 

You need to configure it properly and maybe need to start from scratch.

If you want to use Spotify for multiple users, all Spotify accounts have to be linked in the Sonos App.

Ā 

Also one point which you could have missed is:

Ā 

Google Home ā†’Ā Profile Icon (top right) ā†’Ā Assistent Settings ā†’Ā Devices ā†’Ā select your device ā†’Ā PersonalĀ Events (make sure it's checked)

Google Home ā†’Ā Profile Icon (top right) ā†’Ā Assistent Settings ā†’ Voice Match ā†’Ā make sure your device is listed, otherwise add it.

Both settings on top need to be checked on all Google Accounts

Ā 

Thanks for that digausā€¦Ā  So youā€™re saying it is possible to have multiple voice matches working on the same device.

Ā 

I have wiped everything and tried setting up from scratch a few times already. The points you mention specifically are already done: Multiple Spotify accounts are in the Sonos app (and respective Spotify accounts linked to our Google Assistant accounts); ā€˜Personal Eventsā€™ (in my appĀ it says ā€˜Personal Resultsā€™) is checked for each device.Ā 

Ā 

When I go to my own [Google Home ā†’Ā Profile Icon (top right) ā†’Ā Assistent Settings ā†’ Voice Match] the devices linked solely to my ā€˜Assistantā€™ are listed, and the others are listed in the relevant section of my wifeā€™s settings. If I try to ā€˜Add devicesā€™ the devices linked to my wife appear. When I select one and ā€˜continueā€™ Iā€™m asked if I want to activate Voice Match on this device.Ā  But at the next stage it says ā€œCanā€™t add devices. Ask the person who set up these devices to add you to this home in the google home appā€.Ā  But these devices were set up by me, and they are in **my** home app, in which my wife is a guest or other user. If my wifeā€™s assistant is removed from a device, it then becomes available for me to add this device to my assistant. But then that device cannot be linked to my wifeā€™s assistant for the exact same reasons.Ā 

Ā 

Is is something to do with the way we have the ā€˜Google Homeā€™ set up?Ā  But as I say, looking for instructions from Google, I keep coming back to the page on setting up Voice Match where Google itself says, ā€œThis feature does not work on Sonos speakersā€.Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™m obviously not the only one having these issues as the interweb is awash with people saying they canā€™t get it to work.Ā  I wish Sonos would simply provide instructions - or say that it isnā€™t supported.Ā 

Ā