Answered

Google Assistant Timer setting itself to 1 minute

• 13 March 2021
  • 5 replies

A weird one, but we use the Google Assistant on our Sonos One to regularly set timers, but now - no matter what time we ask for - it only sets a one minute timer.

So in response to "hey Google, set a 10/20/30 minute timer", we get "1 minute timer starting now"

We can ask Google to add to the timer, and it does this absolutely fine, but the initial request just isn't working. Oh and if we ask it for a 1 hour timer, it sets that up fine too.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know a fix?

icon

Best answer by James L. 16 March 2021, 10:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @joncharles, welcome to the community.

I’ve tested this on my Sonos One and I experience the same thing. I’ve flagged this with our engineering team. Thanks for letting us know!

Hi!

I’m not a Sonos user, but I’m experiencing this exact same thing on every single Google Assistant device I own (Home, Speaker, Phone).  It looks like it might be a far-end issue.

Ah ok makes sense. I should possibly add that tried asking for a 30 second timer too today, and "she" set a 1 second timer (before interrupting herself with the timer alarm!)

Thought I would chime in on this one to raise more awareness. All of a sudden my Google Home devices (not Sonos) is only setting 1 minute timers regardless of what's commanded too.

A workaround is let it set the 1 minute timer and then say add X minutes that make it add up to your original requested timer.

A minor inconvenience for sure and I would love to hear of a fix, I've tried resetting the device.

Badge +17

Hey folks, 

This does indeed seem to be affecting other Google Home devices as well as Sonos. A workaround we discovered is by re-phrasing the request slightly.

Instead of “Set a 10-minute timer” try “Set a timer for 10 minutes”. In my testing this has worked 100% successfully so far.