Answered

Google Assistant on Sonos Beam cannot see any of my other devices or services

• 10 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

So I set up Google Assistant on the Sonos Beam (check images) but it doesn’t matter what command I give to it, it says that it cannot find my devices.

For example, if I ask, turn the Living Room Light On, it says it can’t find it.

Even with Apple Music, if I ask to play something on apple music, it says that it can’t do that.

It’s as if it’s a separate device not connected to my home but it can respond to general web requests (what’s the weather, what’s my name, etc).

Is this expected behavior or is it supposed to behave as any other Google Assistant device in my home? I can’t use this assistant in its current state.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 November 2021, 09:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Perhaps see this Sonos Support document for the Google Assistant setup process…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3467

Also note at the end of the Support Document that unfortunately Apple Music playback via the Google Voice Assistant is not supported on 3rd party products like Sonos Speakers at this moment in time, however once an Apple Music Album/Playlist etc; is manually added to a speaker it can then be ‘controlled’ by the Google Assistant.

So you can Play/Stop/Pause/Skip (forward/back)/Resume tracks etc; and adjust volume (up/down) or mute the audio via Google.

Badge

Ok, so that answers the Apple Music limitation which I can live with.

However, why is the Sonos Google Assistant not seeing any of my devices? I have no problem controlling via voice any of my other devices I have ranging from lights, nest thermostats, lamps, xbox, etc.

If you open the Google Home App (not the Assistant App) and goto the ‘works with Google’ Actions listing, check that the action is present and maybe select it and there you can either unlink/re-link your Sonos Account and/or scan for devices. So perhaps do those things first. 

On the main Home Screen of the Google Home App ensure your devices are showing in your Home and if necessary put the speakers into ‘rooms’ where you prefer to have them and delete any unnecessary rooms that are empty.

See if that resolves your issue. I’ve attached some screenshots to show the type of thing you will see in the Home App, which hopefully may assist.

Badge +17

Ok, so that answers the Apple Music limitation which I can live with.

However, why is the Sonos Google Assistant not seeing any of my devices? I have no problem controlling via voice any of my other devices I have ranging from lights, nest thermostats, lamps, xbox, etc.

Hi @LiveAndDream,

I would check whether you have more than one “home” set up inside the Google Assistant app. Open the Google Home app, and press the arrow next to where it says “Home” and see if anything else drops down. If so, press on the other option and check which devices are registered there.

If you’re not seeing another location, you should make sure that your missing devices are showing up inside the Home app at all. If not, that means they’re registered to a different Google account.

Edit: Ken has faster fingers this morning :sweat_smile:

Badge

Thanks everyone.

I went in the Google Home App and clicked on the Sonos device and did a “check for new devices”. Even though I already had the beam in there, it appears that this process asked for my sonos account password again so perhaps that’s what fixed it.

I also had some duplicate “living room” rooms in there.

Problem solved.