Google Assistant on Era 100

• 4 January 2024
  • 5 replies

When are we getting Google Assistant on the Era 100. I have 15 Sonos devices throughout my home and a whole smart home network with Google Assistant. I was so excited when I got two new Era 100s  for Christmas to replace some older Sonos Ones but fun fact they no longer work with Google Assistant. In what universe do new products have less features? I am so disappointed because I now have to have an extra Sonos One to control the rest of my smart home (AC, lights, etc.) and play YouTube Music which you can’t get via Alexa. Feels like a miss. -_-

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@LAPuleo 

Business sometimes is like politics… 😉 As you possibly have heard of Google and Sonos had some differences and their relationship is some sort of difficult. 
So I‘m not surprised that Sonos changes their product line up starting with the Era speakers. I‘m sure the next new product releases also will come without GA. 
Not good for the users but imho reasonable. 

Google has also changed the requirements that must be acceded to for them to allow the Google Assistant to be installed. The bar is much higher these days than when the older Sonos product was were allowed to install it.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

I agree with @Schlumpf on the potential politics of the situation, but that’s as an outsider. I don’t have any true knowledge about the current relationship between Sonos and Google. 

Google has also changed the requirements that must be acceded to for them to allow the Google Assistant to be installed. The bar is much higher these days than when the older Sonos product was were allowed to install it.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

I agree with @Schlumpf on the potential politics of the situation, but that’s as an outsider. I don’t have any true knowledge about the current relationship between Sonos and Google. 

I don’t think the politics, the legal battles between Sonos and Google, has much to do with it.  I don’t see how Sonos gains any leverage by not implementing Google Assistant. If other companies do the same, it might pressure to lower their requirements, but I doubt that’s really going to happen, and it would have no impact on the legal battles.

Dunno. The change in requirement does seem to be pointed directly at the Sonos system, but perhaps the tinfoil hat is obscuring my vision. As I say, I don’t have insider knowledge. Nor do I know if this has any impact on either Sonos’ sales or Google’ Assistant’s use. Nor do I have any clue as to how large the Sonos’ users numbers that currently use Google’s Assistant is. It may be a total ‘we don’t care, it’s negligible, why expend energy on supporting Sonos users’ from Google’s perspective. I can easily see it being something like that. Does Google publish user statistics, and what source device that is in use? Pretty sure I’ve never seen Sonos publish that data, even in their public documents. 

I concur that it’s extremely unlikely for Google Assistant to ever appear on any future line of Sonos products, and that would include the current Era line of speakers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could pair the Era’s with a Nest Mini.