Google Assistant and Room Control

• 20 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I just got a Beam, and I'm enjoying it so far. The only annoying thing is that I can't get the Google assistant to handle a voice command to play music in all rooms.

I have 3 other Sonos rooms, and when I say "Hey Google, play Miles Davis everywhere", she says she doesn't understand. And when I try "Hey Google, play Miles Davis in every room" she says "I can't do that yet. But I'm still learning"

It seems like this would be a pretty basic command, given that the Sonos app shows 'Everywhere' as a default option in the Rooms menu. It's a little cumbersome to have to say "Hey Google, play ___ in the living room, and in the kitchen, and in the bedroom, and in the den, and in..."

Has anyone else experienced this and found a better command? Or is this likely to become possible through a future update?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

There isn't currently the option to create a Sonos Group via voice control (Unless you have a Harmony Hub Remote), unlike Alexa where you can use the Preferred Speaker option. If all of your rooms are grouped in the Sonos App, then a command to one will output to all speakers within that group.
Hi,
even without taking the Google Assistant issue into consideration, it would be useful if there was a way to group different speaker configurations into named groups. I think this would be useful for people with speakers in a number of rooms, so rather than having to conitnually add/subtract speakers from a group they just select one of the saved configurations. It would/could also solve the google assitant issue with groups.

Cheers,
Paul
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
even without taking the Google Assistant issue into consideration, it would be useful if there was a way to group different speaker configurations into named groups. I think this would be useful for people with speakers in a number of rooms, so rather than having to conitnually add/subtract speakers from a group they just select one of the saved configurations. It would/could also solve the google assitant issue with groups.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul

Yes this would be great but not sure if or when it will happen. There is a work around which I use, if you have a Harmony Ultimate Hub: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/grouping-of-sonos-rooms-via-voice-control-solution-6825763
Hi Ukmedia,
Awsome idea! Unfortuately the ex got the harmony hub :-(

But definately with you on the reds. A pinot noir tonight. :-)

Cheers, literally
Badge +1
We can group in Alexa for quite a while now. Why is it taking so long in Google Assistant to group speakers in a room or whole house?