Answered

Explain to me like I’m an idiot...

• 12 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Explain to me like I’m an idiot why Google Assistant isn’t available in certain countries. Why can’t it just be “switched on”. I live in Japan. I get why maybe Japanese language support isn’t ready but for those of us that are happy to communicate in English, why can’t we have the option?

icon

Best answer by Smilja 12 March 2021, 12:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

That’s subject to country-dependent copyright and media law, trade law is also involved. Are Google Home devices available for purchase in Japan?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There's conflicting messages about the answer question if it still works to change your country of residence in the profile on the Sonos website to a country that has GA (i.e. US, UK or the Netherlands).

That’s subject to country-dependent copyright and media law, trade law is also involved. Are Google Home devices available for purchase in Japan?

Yes, Google Home devices are sold locally with Google assistant working well in both Japanese and English. That’s why I’m frustrated - everything except my Sonos system can be controlled by voice. I can use assistant to play music through the Google hub, but obviously it’s no Sonos!

There's conflicting messages about the answer question if it still works to change your country of residence in the profile on the Sonos website to a country that has GA (i.e. US, UK or the Netherlands).

I’ve tried it but it hasn’t worked for me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I wouldn't worry about it. Google assistant on Sonos is rubbish - you're not missing anything. 

If you want GA buy from Google.