Question

Can't set up Google Assistant on Android Go device.

• 11 September 2020
  • 5 replies

I am trying to set up Google Assistant as my voice assistant on my Sonos One.  During the setup process in the Sonos app, I am prompted to download the Google app...but the Play Store gives me an error when I try to install the Google app.  My phone has the Android Go operating system installed...and Android Go devices contain the “Google Go” app rather than the “Google” app.

Is anyone aware of a solution or workaround to this problem?  I just bought my Android Go phone for the sole purpose of setting to set up my Sonos One, so I don’t want to buy a second additional phone.  I also have an older android tablet that has the Google app installed, but it won’t let me install the Sonos app...whereas my phone lets me install the Sonos app, but not the Google app.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MrBond, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for the detailed outline of your issue. Regarding your concern, I’ll ask some questions to further check on this issue. 

• What is the make and model of the Android Go device that you have?
  • What is the Android OS version of it?
  • Have you tried it on another controller device where you can have the Sonos App installed, just to add the Google Assistant and then after that, you can control it on the Android Go device?

Let me know your thoughts with the advice above.

Please, feel free to let me know if you require any further information.

Hi @MrBond, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for the detailed outline of your issue. Regarding your concern, I’ll ask some questions to further check on this issue. 

• What is the make and model of the Android Go device that you have?
  • What is the Android OS version of it?
  • Have you tried it on another controller device where you can have the Sonos App installed, just to add the Google Assistant and then after that, you can control it on the Android Go device?

Thanks for responding, Simon.  Here the the answers to your questions:

• Nokia 2.1 phone
  • Android Go version 9 OS
  • I don’t have access to another device that allows me to install the new Sonos app.  (I have the Windows10 Sonos program on my PC, but that doesn’t appear to let me set up a voice assistant.  And I have the old Sonos S1 app on my android tablet, but I can’t install the new app).
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MrBond, thanks for the update and the information that you provided. What I can suggest for now is if you can try to borrow another phone controller just to finish the setup of the Google Assistant and check if that will work. You may check this link for Sonos system requirements for the Sonos App.  

I’m not comfortable asking to borrow someone’s device and PIN.  So instead, I’m going to use the Alexa voice assistant as a workaround/alternative.

It would be interesting to know if there are features missing from the “Google Go” app that are preventing the Google voice assistant setup from working.  Or, would it “just” be a matter of enhancing the Sonos app software to detect which OS was installed (ie Android or Android Go)...and then auto-launching the appropriate variant of the Google app (ie Google or Google Go).  

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @MrBond, thanks for the update. about your questions on features that could be missing on the Google Go and the Google App or if there is anything that may be blocking the adding of the Google Assistant for these two programs, unfortunately, I don’t have an answer for that since Google created these Apps. but we are only following the System requirement guidelines for Adding Google Assistant on Sonos. 

The Sonos community is always here to help.