To whom it may concern,
For the entire day of today, I have tried setting up the google assistant in my Sonos speakers. I've had the Sonos One, and the One SL for a while, with the assistant working perfectly until today. As soon as I added the Roam to the app, the problems began. I cannot add the voice assistant to it, moreover, the voice assistant doesn't work whatsoever for any of the products.
I have tried the countless solution in Sonos forums and on Reddit, with no success.
Once I get to the Google Home app, and it asks me to sign in to my sons account, it redirects to a page that asks for me to update my app (it is updated), and that there are no speakers on my account (yes, there are)
I have reset all the accounts, re-installed everything, factory reset all the speakers, deleted and adjusted everything I could. Created new accounts to try and add the Google assistant, but nothing has worked.
I have submitted diagnostics #999897859
Best answer by Andy_113
I see this has happened in the past then spontaneously resolved itself. Fingers crossed soon!