Answered

Can multiple users control Sonos One with voice match?

• 30 December 2022
  • 7 replies

I bought a Sonos One last week, and would like to allow my family members (in the same Google Home house) to control it with Google Assistance Voice Match. I have a number of Google Nest speakers in my house, on which this works great. Each family member's voice is recognised and gets personalised results.

I have been able to add Google Assistance voice control in the Sonos app, and have added the Sonos in the Google Home app. However, Voice Match only works for myself, not for my familiy members. I have noticed that, unlike the Google Nest Audio and the Google Nest Mini speakers in my house, the Sonos is not in the list of devices using Voice Match.

Am I forgetting something or doing it wrong? Or is it just not possible to use Voice Match for multiple users on the Sonos One?

Your help is much appreciated!

icon

Best answer by w3ll3 31 December 2022, 00:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Note the Sonos devices are only Google ‘enabled’ devices, which means they use the basic instruction set for enabling/controlling music playback on Sonos devices, they are not full blown Google assistant products, so not every Google assistant feature is supported - perhaps see the basic instruction set mentioned in links in the Sonos Support document here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/control-sonos-with-the-google-assistant

Thanks.

The linked Sonos support page states:

"If you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking"

That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve, hence my question.

Userlevel 7

I don’t use GA, but does the following help?

I also just recently got Sonos one speakers and have had this same issue. I have not been able to resolve it but have tried multiple troubleshooting steps including from this page: 

Overall, this seem to be a recurring issue over the last few years. What a waste of time trying to enable this feature for a premium product. I hope someone has had success with figuring this out and will stay tuned for an answer too...

Interestingly, I updated my wife’s phone to setup Voice Match. When I did that, it gave me the option to include both of my Sonos speakers along with a JBL speaker that is running real google assistant.  That worked great. But then I went to do Voice Match on my phone and it doesn’t list any of my Sonos speakers - only the JBL. There’s a line that indicates it will add “Eligible devices added later”.

However - here’s the secret. On the current GA (I’m doing preview so your menus might be different):

1. Open “Hey Google & Voice Match
  2. Click on “Other devices”
  3. If you don’t see your Sonos, find the link “Add device with Voice Match”
  4. Then proceed to train it to hear your voice.

The key was step 3 which I didn’t notice until probably the 5th time I tried it :p

Totally agree with you. In addition to the voice match issue, I'm experiencing that the voice control is not as responsive as on the Google devices. Sometimes there's a silence/delay of a few seconds after a spoken command.

I'm thinking of returning my Sonos One and getting Harman Kardon Citation to use with Google Assistant.

Totally agree with you. In addition to the voice match issue, I'm experiencing that the voice control is not as responsive as on the Google devices. Sometimes there's a silence/delay of a few seconds after a spoken command.

I'm thinking of returning my Sonos One and getting Harman Kardon Citation to use with Google Assistant.

Yes, in a similar vein, I chose to get rid of all my Google devices instead and switched to using the Amazon Alexa assistant alongside Sonos. I just found the Alexa/Sonos integration seemed to be so much better for the family smarthome use-case. I’ve no regrets thus far.

I gave away my Nest products to family and friends quite a while ago now and even they are not really using them very much and currently appear to also now prefer Alexa with ‘Sonos’, ‘Ring’ cameras, ‘Hive’ heating, ‘Hue’ lighting, and various Smart-Plugs etc. 

Google development on Sonos seemed to me to come to a bit of a standstill, following the early legal battle, whereas the Alexa/Sonos integration seemed to be always firmly way out in front of Google, but that’s just a personal perception. 

It’s now a case of course that there is also the secure SVC that sits alongside Alexa for even greater control of Sonos room-grouping/ungrouping etc, which (perhaps sadly for some Google users) is unavailable with the Google assistant on the same Sonos device - I’m not sure if Google may have withheld, or even withdrawn some features on Sonos, to the detriment of their own customers.

Anyhow I’m personally glad that I got off the Google train at one of the early stops. It would take quite a lot now to get me back onboard.