Bug with Tidal music service and GA on Sonos

• 6 March 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

If subscribed to Tidal music streaming service, you can link up to Sonos in the Sonos app, and you can add it to Alexa via the Tidal skill. There is no option to add it to Google Home, and apparently that’s because it is not supported.

No problem - my Sonos One stereo pair runs Google Assistant, but I have an Echo Dot sitting next to them, and it’s set to use the Sonos speakers as the default music output and Tidal as the default music service, so I can just say “Alexa, play (title)”, and it plays from Tidal on the Sonos speakers.

But if I say “Hey Google, play (title) from Tidal”, it thinks for a long time with the light flashing (7-8 seconds), then says “Ok, playing (title) on Tidal… Sorry, it looks like Sonos isn’t available right now.”

Probably the issue is simply that Google Assistant doesn’t support streaming from Tidal. But the response is misleading, and indicates a deeper bug that I’ve noticed before, that the error “Sonos isn’t available right now” is frequently offered as a generic error message by Google Assistant when in fact that is not the problem.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Doug Ames 

Thanks for your post.

What you hear will be a default response - the voice messages are in no way comprehensive of all possible issues, and adding more would take up system resources. In addition, that’s Google’s software running on our device - we have no control over what Google Assistant’s response to an issue would be.

Set up a Google Assistant device to control Sonos

As mentioned in the above page, Google Assistant can, in fact, play from Tidal to Sonos as long as the Tidal account is set up on Sonos correctly - it doesn’t need to be added to Google Assistant too. As this clearly isn’t working, I recommend you try rebooting your network - switch your router off for 30 seconds, and when WiFi comes back, try again. If it still doesn’t work, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Corry P  I figured it was a default response, but my point is that this default response is misleading and inappropriate in many situations. You say that this is Google’s problem, and I can certainly believe that, but if that’s the case I hope Sonos has some means of reporting issues like this to Google.

Adding more error messages would take up system resources? Ha-ha, good one!

Google Assistant on voice speakers does not support Tidal, and never has. Google is quite clear about this. And clearly neither does Google Assistant on Sonos. Your guide is wrong when it lists Tidal along with the other services. Any other music service that has had its account linked to both Google Assistant and Sonos can be played (or gives a specific error message like “Your subscription doesn’t support that”). Only Tidal gives the generic misleading error “Sonos isn’t available right now”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As stated in our article, if you specify “from Tidal” with each command, you can request music via Google Assistant, on Sonos.

As this isn’t working, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

Userlevel 1

exactly same thing happens to me when I ask to play music on Tidal, same error

“Ok, playing music on Tidal… Sorry, it looks like Sonos isn’t available right now.” 

or sorry i cannot reach Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @luke777 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.