Answered

Beam voice assistant plays music on Play 5 instead

• 20 March 2022
  • 3 replies

When I give my Beam Google Assistant a command to play music, it plays on my Play:5 instead.  The Play:5 sits below the Beam and is inputed from a turntable to play my old LPs.  That works fine.  The Beam is connected via ARC to my Samsung TV and works fine for TV audio also.  Both speakers are in the same room, with the Beam on the top shelf of the media center and the Play:5 below it.

My question is: 

Why does a music voice command on the Beam play music on the Play:5 instead?  Also, why I cannot control the volume of the Play:5 from the Beam voice command.  I have to touch the Play:5 buttons to increase or decrease the volume.

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by DESenior 22 March 2022, 00:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Take a look in the Alexa app (if it is Alexa) as to how your devices are grouped. The Play:5 may be specified as the speaker for the group.

Also to adjust the volume of the Play:5, simply include it as one of the playback/preferred speakers in the 3rd section of the Alexa Group and add it to the 2nd section of the group to ‘duck’ it’s audio when speaking to the ‘enabling’ Alexa device - another alternative is to include its sonos ‘room’ name in your instruction to the assistant.

You folks nailed it.

I went to Google Assistant settings (through the Sonos speaker settings) and set up Beam as Default Music Speaker and the Samsung as Default TV.  Works as it should and now the Play:5 will only play from the turntable input or as assigned for music through the Sonos app.

I was trying to resolve this though the Sonos app previously and never considered the resolution as being through Google Assistant.

Appreciate everyone’s input.  Thanks