Will my setup work for this space

Hi all. First time posting here. Now I know most will say my system is over kill for this space and I agree with you. That being said I have a lot of options here. For my living room I own an Arc, two Era 300’s and a sub gen 3. Bedroom I have an Arc, Sub Mini and two One SL’s. The bedroom is kind of besides the point but I wanted to list what I have to get opinions on my setup. My bedroom is closed with four walls so that may be best for one system vs the other. My living room is a bit awkward but my orig al bedroom setup was in there and sounds pretty damn good. 

What I’m looking for is some opinions. I listen to a ton of Atmos pretty much exclusively when I can because that is simply what I enjoy hence the overkill systems for the spaces I am in right now. That being said I have posted the layout of my apartment. I am mainly focused on what everyone thinks of the layout and how atmos will sound with the arc (mounted to my tv which is on a swivel and will be pointed at the couch) 2 era 300’s and sub gen 3. Will this setup be better for the bedroom space and swap the bedroom setup (arc, sub mini, one SL’s) since the SL’s are more directional? 
 - ceilings in living room and bedroom are 10 foot. 

Any reconnections would be fantastic and you won’t hurt my feelings lol 

ps I do not have neighbors as I am a corner unit and the stairwell is on the other side so annoying the neighbors isn’t an issue. 

16 replies

This is the layout* 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

For my living room I own an Arc, two Era 300’s and a sub gen 3. Bedroom I have an Arc, Sub Mini and two One SL’s. I wanted to list what I have to get opinions on my setup. 

What I’m looking for is some opinions.

I’m puzzled. In your post you say you own all the kit already. Why are you asking us which gear to use in which room? Sonos lets you configure and reconfigure setups relatively easily. Just try the different setups with your existing kit and decide which you like best. Your ears should be the influencer here, rather than other folks’ opinions.  Or am I missing something? 

That said, the upward-firing speakers in the Eras is likely to give the better Atmos experience. But experiment and see (hear) what you prefer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@HookNladder 

Only thing to improve imo would be the angled tv position. For best surround experience the couch and tv have to be placed straight opposite each other. 
As a question and compromise of design you could angle the couch (including the right rearspeaker) or move the tv (what I would do). 

@Schlumpf 

Thank you for the reply! My full system comes tomorrow and I’m pumped to try it out. I may end up trying your recommendation as well on putting the couch directly in front of the TV. Will be a bit of an awkward setup but if it sounds better I’m all for it! 

For my living room I own an Arc, two Era 300’s and a sub gen 3. Bedroom I have an Arc, Sub Mini and two One SL’s. I wanted to list what I have to get opinions on my setup. 

What I’m looking for is some opinions.

I’m puzzled. In your post you say you own all the kit already. Why are you asking us which gear to use in which room? Sonos lets you configure and reconfigure setups relatively easily. Just try the different setups with your existing kit and decide which you like best. Your ears should be the influencer here, rather than other folks’ opinions.  Or am I missing something? 

That said, the upward-firing speakers in the Eras is likely to give the better Atmos experience. But experiment and see (hear) what you prefer. 

@nik9669a I should have been more clear. My system is purchased but the era 300’s aren’t here yet. They come tomorrow. I will definitely be messing around with how it sounds. I agree it’s up to how the listener thinks it sounds but I like to hear other opinions or recommendations. Speaker placement, re arranging the space, etc. Thanks for taking the time to respond! 

If it were me, I’d move the TV and Arc to directly opposing the couch, on to the wall between the living room and bedroom, rather than the odd position it is on that corner wall. My neck would become sore looking at it in the current location. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If it were me, I’d move the TV and Arc to directly opposing the couch, on to the wall between the living room and bedroom, rather than the odd position it is on that corner wall. My neck would become sore looking at it in the current location. 

From the o p, the tv is folded out for viewing and pushed back when done. 

Hard to believe that it is pushed out a couple of feet, which would be needed to put it ‘in front of’ the couch. Swivels don’t usually provide distance, just angle adjustment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@HookNladder 

Why using a swivel, if there’s the possibility to mount tv and Arc directly at the opposite wall…

The challenge in the graphic is, unfortunately, there is no indication of where doorways are. I’ll be interested in the OP comes back with that as an reason why the TV and Arc can’t be opposite the couch. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Airgetlam 

Oha… Bruce, that‘s it. I knew there was something strange with that graphic. Or maybe with op… 😂

Honestly, it took me a day or so to figure out that ‘problem’. Which is why I hadn’t answered before…but I’m guessing about door locations being an issue. We’ll have to see what the OP says…it could also be WAF (Wife/Significant Other Acceptance Factor). 

I’m also cognizant that my opinions about speakers/video placement are rather rigid, and particularly for speakers, it seems as though merely testing and relying on your own opinion is more important than any feedback I can supply. My ears are attached to my head and brain. What’s good for me may or may not be right for someone else. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

My house, my car, my head, my ears !!! 😎😉

Honestly, it took me a day or so to figure out that ‘problem’. Which is why I hadn’t answered before…but I’m guessing about door locations being an issue. We’ll have to see what the OP says…it could also be WAF (Wife/Significant Other Acceptance Factor). 

I’m also cognizant that my opinions about speakers/video placement are rather rigid, and particularly for speakers, it seems as though merely testing and relying on your own opinion is more important than any feedback I can supply. My ears are attached to my head and brain. What’s good for me may or may not be right for someone else. 

Thank you for the reply! Fortunately no girlfriend or wife to bother about placement. I have updated the previous layout post I edited to add for doors. The wall next to the odd angled wall (fire place) fits my 65” TV perfectly above so I would be going with an ARC under TV mount so the Arc can be pointed at mt seating position. The swivel arm does a good job reaching but it’s still not perfect. The wall next to where that angled wall is too small for my 65” unfortunately, it would be hanging over my door. I marked my doors with a blue marking. I think what I may do depending on how it sounds in the current projected layout when my Era 300’s arrive is do a 180 with my couch and place in the middle of the living room facing the back wall where I was planning on having the 300’s. I will have to purchase stands which isn’t the end of the world and possibly a TV stand but it may be best for the sound delivery. That corner on the upper right hand where I my TV is currently placed is the problem here. I guess I wonder if the eras are better suited against a flat wall for sound refraction or if it’s more valuable to have my tv and ARC directly in front of me. Just talking to myself out loud with your guys input LOL. 

Again thank you for the input! Ultimately with all these questions I know it comes down to listeners preference I just like to hear others input! 

Thank you for the reply! Fortunately no girlfriend or wife to bother about placement. I have updated the previous layout post I edited to add for doors. The wall next to the odd angled wall (fire place) fits my 65” TV perfectly above so I would be going with an ARC under TV mount so the Arc can be pointed at mt seating position. The swivel arm does a good job reaching but it’s still not perfect. The wall next to where that angled wall is too small for my 65” unfortunately, it would be hanging over my door. I marked my doors with a blue marking. I think what I may do depending on how it sounds in the current projected layout when my Era 300’s arrive is do a 180 with my couch and place in the middle of the living room facing the back wall where I was planning on having the 300’s. I will have to purchase stands which isn’t the end of the world and possibly a TV stand but it may be best for the sound delivery. That corner on the upper right hand where I my TV is currently placed is the problem here. I guess I wonder if the eras are better suited against a flat wall for sound refraction or if it’s more valuable to have my tv and ARC directly in front of me. Just talking to myself out loud with your guys input LOL. 

Again thank you for the input! Ultimately with all these questions I know it comes down to listeners preference I just like to hear others input! 

Waiting on approval for new picture to upload with door placements.