TruePlay Tuning feature request

• 8 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’d like to suggest either one or two features depending on the need. 
For those of us who may have open concept kitchen/living room, I feel we need different requirements. Having such a big space can call for more than one tuning session. I’d like to suggest a few things.

1. A tuning method for open space areas. This may require a TruePlay tuning for music and separate one for movies if you have a home theater setup. Balancing for the couch then walking around the kitchen are 2 different areas with different needs. They may be a need for 2 different tunings depending on the output source in that room. 
  2. A true play instructional video or explanation for A. An open space living room B. A home the theater setup vs. a single speaker or stereo setup. 
    The suggest TruePlay instructional video explains that you should “walk around the room” which is pretty vague. The woman is walking around the room that has 1 speaker in it. This is different for us with 2.1, 5.2, Atmos, etc. This video should have more detail when configuring different devices. 
    I’ve seen people suggest walking around the listening area when in an open space but when listening to music that wouldn’t work the same way. A little clarification in the app would help many people get the best sound out of their system. Thanks for listening!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

The usual thing with HT Trueplay tuning is to initially position the controller at the ‘main’ listening/viewing location and balance all speakers for that chosen spot. Then in stage two of the process, cover ALL parts of the open space, as you move about the room.

If the sound is then perhaps not to your liking, then retune again and perhaps concentrate a little more in the primary listening positions until you find an EQ (averaged) base level that suits as a starting point.

Then maybe go onto fine-tune the sound to your own listening preference, using the various EQ adjustment options in the App.

Here are some further in-depth details about Sonos Trueplay tuning, which you may find helpful…

https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/trueplay-spectral-correction/