Sonos S1 app better than Sonos S2 app?

• 2 January 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Only recently I've moved over from the S1 app to the S2 app and seeing the differences for the worse. I use a BT Hub and a good while, there were long running problems with Sonos S1, but these were eventually sorted. Have now switched to S2 app and am seeing old and other new problems in S2 app. For example, a new problem..... When selecting a playlist in S2, the immediate editing of the playlist order is not available. This was never the case in the S1 app. You were able to see the tracks straight after the playlist was selected. Also it's doing that nonsense again where you go to use the app but not speakers appear. Have to stop and start the app which sometimes works.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

BT Smarthubs are mentioned in various threads in the community here as often having difficulty with SSDP multicast device discovery between its network (wired and wireless) segments many have resolved the issue by disabling its 5Ghz adapter - but maybe just check to see if there any firmware updates for your particular router, as sometimes an update may help to fix the issue.

If you select a Sonos playlist you can edit it from the (…) ellipsis menu option top right corner of the display screen, or when used for playback, the sonos room queue allows editing too, including the re-ordering, removal of tracks etc; which in turn can then be saved as a playlist aswell.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks @Ken_Griffiths - Will check on the firmware side of things. Thanks also for the hint on SONOS Playlists too, but just to clarify I was referring to after selecting a playlist and then clicking on the top right hand corner. This active list in play used to show its contents immediately after selecting it, but now there's a delay. Probably related to the BT Hub issues you mentioned earlier maybe?

I’m not seeing a delay with the queue showing. So it possibly could be your network, perhaps?

But if you need to edit that queue/playlist, then the edit button is at the bottom of the screen in the middle… and/or you can clear or save the track-list too after editing etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

But if you need to edit that queue/playlist, then the edit button is at the bottom of the screen in the middle… and/or you can clear or save the track-list too after editing etc.

Ok cheers @Ken_Griffiths - Once again many thanks for your time and input which is always appreciated. Just FYI, I went back through my and other's entries on the BT Community pages about problems we all had back then with Sonos S1 and the particular BT firmware update, which for me definitely sorted all the problems regarding the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

Just a thought for possibly finding where the problem could be..... Will try downgrading to the S1 app again and see how it behaves. If it does behave OK then would this be an indication that it could be the S2 app?

Ok cheers @Ken_Griffiths - Once again many thanks for your time and input which is always appreciated. Just FYI, I went back through my and other's entries on the BT Community pages about problems we all had back then with Sonos S1 and the particular BT firmware update, which for me definitely sorted all the problems regarding the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks.

Just a thought for possibly finding where the problem could be..... Will try downgrading to the S1 app again and see how it behaves. If it does behave OK then would this be an indication that it could be the S2 app?

Rather than goto all that trouble, you could just see if switching off the 5Ghz band on the router (just temporarily) perhaps resolves the issue for you… that’s what the BT router owners used to do as a temporary fix whilst waiting for firmware updates to the router. Anyhow I hope that cuts out all the bother.

Also, you might want to change the WiFi channel/channel-width on the routers 2.4Ghz band too. Ensure the channel is set to a non-overlapping channel: 1, 6 or 11 and, if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only. If that still does not resolve the issue, then try switching the system over to SonosNet by wiring a single standalone device to the router (place that device at least 1 metre away from the router) and set the SonosNet channel in the App to a different channel to the one in use by the router and see if that fixes the matter.

Anyhow I hope that assists and allows you to keep your system up and running on S2.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@Ken_Griffiths Many thanks again. Will try the 2.4GHz option and definitely will check for what channel is in use on the Wi-Fi for 2.4GHz also. Will report back here with any problems, maybe after a week or so.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@jasonlim - Thanks for your post. I’m going to monitor this closely. @Ken_Griffiths - I can see that on my network monitor, all speakers were on the 5GHz network, which surprised me, because I thought SONOS speakers worked on the 2.4GHz band. Maybe this was something that happened after the upgrade to S2 ?

Moderator Note: Removed quoted reply as spam. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.