Sonos Pro Tip: Upgrading/Changing iPhones

• 25 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hello

I had meant to post this 3 years ago when I upgraded to my iPhone 12. Well the time has come to upgrade to iPhone 15. The best way to move your data (and 99% of settings) from your old iPhone to a new one is to use the Quick Start function. It allows the two iPhones to transfer data directly_Old to New. Here’s a link on the procedure.

I also recommend  performing a backup to iCloud (if you subscribe to it) or to the HD on your computer. In the world of electronics anything can happen and you’ll want to have a way to restore/retrieve your data just in case things go south during the electronic data transfer. 

OK...enough of the iPhone tutorial 😊

Upon moving your data to a new iPhone you may notice that the app icons are greyed-out at first and later have a “cloud” with a downward arrow to the lower left. That only means that the app is waiting for you to access it to complete the final install on your new iPhone. The final install will occur over hours or days automatically depending upon the number of apps you have and the speed of your wifi.

If the Sonos app does not fully download on its own you may have to force it by tapping on it. Often times after doing so you may get a message that speakers are missing and the app will offer to help you find them. Unfortunately, (IMO) the Sonos app may ask you to locate each speaker, power it off and back on again to make them visible. That’s OK if you only have a couple of speakers; but what if you have five (5) or more and some are not the easiest to access?

Here’s the Pro Tip:

Delete the Sonos app and re-download it from the app store. Upon opening the app select “Join an Existing System. The app will  find your system and all your speakers! Easy-Pee-Zee! 

I hope someone finds this information useful 😊

Note: The above Pro Tip assumes you had a stable Sonos system prior to your iPhone upgrade. Also you will have to sign in again; so know your credentials.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @AjTrek1 

Thanks for sharing your tip!