Answered

Sonos connect cuts in and out constantly

• 14 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Looking for a solution to Sonos cutting in and out. I’m an IT guy with multiple sonos connects hardwired to a solid enterprise grade home network. Tried starting over with factory reset for my Sonos Connects and Five. Worked for a while but much to my dismay, cutouts once again. Happens on XM and Spotify which are my main sources, both of which work perfectly well via desktop and phone apps. Sonos not so much.  Very frustrating, especially since there is no diagnostic capability to help trouble shoot this mess. Have been a Sonos user for 5+ years with no issues. Lots of posts on this issue, any magical advise on this issue. 

icon

Best answer by techie28 15 January 2024, 13:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@techie28 

If you use such a semi professional network, please tell us more detailed information about its setup. Especially to what kind of device the Sonos Connects are wired to via lan cable. If you use an ethernet switch, it has to support STP protocol and igmp snooping. 

Thanks this is helpful, I believe IGMP snooping is enabled on the vlan but will check.  core switch with the sonos connect is a 3750. 

It appears to be working well again. After another reboot. That said, this is helpful and gives me some insight as to how dataflows are managed since I really haven’t had the time to setup a span port and analyzer.   Much appreciated. 

I recommend that you refrain from Factory Reset without further consult. As you have discovered, the Factory Reset has not cured any fundamental issues and it has wasted a lot of time. Finally, it destroys diagnostic data available to SONOS support. I suggest that you submit a diagnostic while the system is operating and again within 10 minutes of a failure. Keep track of the confirmation numbers and follow up with phone support. Occasionally, a staff member will reply if you post the numbers here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Since a reboot seems to help for a while you might try setting static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos devices and see if after a network/Sonos reboot if things get more stable.

I spent many days and hours of troubleshooting avoiding this solution while seeking a cause to my problems but in the end I tried it and it worked.

@Schlumpf Thank you. Super helpful. CGMP/IGMP Snooping was in fact NOT ENABLED. Swallowing my pride here. Should have gone back to basics to verify the config …. which hasn’t changed in years, but obviously I didn’t save the running config somewhere along the way.  USER ERROR… i hate that :-) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@techie28 

Thx for feedback… And good to hear you got it working again. 😎

Don‘t hate yourself… 😉 Sometimes making mistakes is part of being human.