Answered

Sonos Bridge

• 29 March 2024
  • 2 replies

What is the purpose of Bridge if it prevents updates from downloading and installing on Sonos products. The support site recommends permanently disconnecting the Bridge

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 March 2024, 03:38

View original

2 replies

The BRIDGE is an ‘ancient’, in terms of Sonos, device. It only supports S1, and there have been so many issues with the power supply breaking that most don’t recommend its use at all. 

It was replaced in the Sonos lineup back in October of 2014 by the Sonos BOOST, but that has been unofficially retired and in fact is no longer manufactured. The latest Sonos devices don’t even support SonosNet, which both of those devices created, but as each and every other Ethernet cable device sold by Sonos can create a SonosNet signal, the BOOST isn’t really necessary anymore.

Also, the quality on home routers have changed so significantly from when the BRIDGE and BOOST were designed, they (and SonosNet) are no longer really necessary. Sonos does, however, continue to support the BRIDGE on S1, and the BOOST on both S1 and S2 for those, like me, who use them as the base of their system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@HealWithSteel

If you won’t connect another device via LAN cable and consider using your local router wifi network, the following support documents may be helpful. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/choose-between-a-wireless-and-wired-sonos-setup

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

PS:

As I can see in your profile you also use at least one S1 only product (P5 Gen1) and probably the Connect/ Amp may also be just S1. In that case you won’t be able to update to S2 the whole system even the bridge retired. But although I would recommend using another cabled device instead of the bridge or switching to wifi mode setup. Be aware for the last option (wifi mode) you should avoid using wifi repeaters on your home network.