Greenwashing

• 3 April 2024
  • 3 replies

This was the headline to an email I received last month. I nearly spat out my coffee at the screen.

Since their invention, speakers haven’t needed to be upgraded with software updates.

Good speakers, and I do consider Sonos good speakers, only need to be replaced when the cones, or some other physical component, is knackered. A speaker isn’t a tech consumable with a lifespan under 10 years, a good speaker can be cherished and passed on through generations.

Sonos you are a speaker company. 

You do not build hardware like computers, or phones - your software shouldn’t be entangled in an arms race for more CPU/GPU/RAM etc. so why the need for hardware upgrades? 

How much software is needed to drive a speaker?

NASA put a man on the moon using less computing power. Your excellent audio engineers must be pissed off that your software team produce such bloated code that it effectively kills off their work.

It’s a cynical business model that embraces redundancy to drive repeat revenue, locking your customers into an ecosystem that favors the bottom lines over the planet.

Why mug off your customers, assuming they’ll accept this?

Sonos, stop virtue signaling and b*******ting your customers and actually make a change for your customers and the planet.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

3 replies

So much wrong in one post, I really don’t know what to say.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

This was the headline to an email I received last month. I nearly spat out my coffee at the screen.

Since their invention, speakers haven’t needed to be upgraded with software updates.

Good speakers, and I do consider Sonos good speakers, only need to be replaced when the cones, or some other physical component, is knackered. A speaker isn’t a tech consumable with a lifespan under 10 years, a good speaker can be cherished and passed on through generations.

Sonos you are a speaker company. 

You do not build hardware like computers, or phones - your software shouldn’t be entangled in an arms race for more CPU/GPU/RAM etc. so why the need for hardware upgrades? 

How much software is needed to drive a speaker?

NASA put a man on the moon using less computing power. Your excellent audio engineers must be pissed off that your software team produce such bloated code that it effectively kills off their work.

It’s a cynical business model that embraces redundancy to drive repeat revenue, locking your customers into an ecosystem that favors the bottom lines over the planet.

Why mug off your customers, assuming they’ll accept this?

Sonos, stop virtue signaling and b*******ting your customers and actually make a change for your customers and the planet.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I think the most curious element in the highly inaccurate post above is “You do not build hardware like computers”.  Please, @Jonathan_ldn, how do these speakers achieve Trueplay? How do they access the wifi? How do they Group? How do they respond to the phone app (which is just a remote control that tells a selected speaker what to do), and start to stream a radio station? 

I think I’ll stop there! 

I think the most curious element in the highly inaccurate post above is “You do not build hardware like computers”.  Please, @Jonathan_ldn, how do these speakers achieve Trueplay? How do they access the wifi? How do they Group? How do they respond to the phone app (which is just a remote control that tells a selected speaker what to do), and start to stream a radio station? 

I think I’ll stop there! 

Not to mention that S1 components from 2005 are still operating and supported today, almost 2 decades after they were originally released, so claiming they have a “lifespan under 10 years”  is hyperbolic nonsense.  Sure you can’t buy a new S2 only unit and have them work together, however the OP just wants “speakers”, and they still work as “speakers” (far more than speakers, in fact). 

Once the talk about interacting with modern units gets tossed in the mix, then as you said, we are now talking networked computing devices that happen to drive speakers, instead just “speakers”, and the whole premise of the OP’s rant falls apart. 

Also, I would be remiss if I failed to mention - IT WAS ALMOST FOUR YEARS AGO!!!! 

Time to let it go!