Feature Request: Sonos app control without Wi-Fi

• 3 February 2022
  • 2 replies

TL;DR: support for controlling Sonos system through mobile app, without local Wi-Fi connection

Context:

I have a Sonos systems in both my home and the production facility I work out of.

All of our Sonos devices are hardwired to the local networks, as are most of our internet-connected devices since we have a gigabit network & they need an optical connection to take advantage of that.

Because of this, I prefer to keep my mobile devices off Wi-Fi since my 5G cell coverage on my phone is actually more reliable.

Since the Sonos devices are connected to the internet anyway, why am I unable to control them from anywhere? Why do I have to be on the local network?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

As a security precaution most networks are designed to block unexpected connections originating outside of the network. There are ways to circumvent this, but they require more than typical consumer networking chops. 

An issue that I can imagine is a remote user accidentally starting system play. Certainly this could happen now, but the system would be in the same house and you could probably hear the errant room start or someone would yell at you. With external control, the controller could be half a planet distant. In addition to the relatively minor annoyance of the wrong room starting, a streaming service could play unnoticed for days, possibly exhausting the home Internet connection’s data quota.

I could be wrong about this, but do any of the third party controller apps allow control without a WiFi connection?  I know the Sonos API works through the cloud (it’s how Alexa and GA work) so it is possible, just not something Sonos does with their own app.