Feature Request: Audio (Music) Bitrate and Frequency on Now Playing Screen

• 15 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This was requested in the past as a bitrate and codec. I’m requesting something similar to when playing video. For video we get Stereo PCM, Dolby 2.0, Dolby Atmos, DTS, Etc. For music, we should have a similar display for

• .wav, 24-bit, 96kHz
  • MP3, 320kbps, 44.1kHz
  • FLAC, 24-bit, 48kHz
  • FLAC, 24-bit, 96kHz

This helps us clear up the audio qualities coming from various sources. Playing music from Tidal app on an iphone, playing direct to the speaker may or may play at the same quality as Tidal direct from the Sonos app. 
Pandora Via Apple Airplay from the app may not play as high quality as from the Sonos app. Some people prefer not to use the Sonos app for various reasons but don’t know what quality they’re getting from the source due to it being stereo. 
I think this would be as helpful as finding out you’re getting Dolby Digital plus 5.1 vs. TrueHD Dolby Atmos. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @ajx8141,

I’ve marked this thread as a feature request to be forwarded to the relevant teams. If you have any further suggestions feel free to post them!

Just to add: Sonos doesn’t play 96kHz content from anyone. Nothing above 48kHz. 

Several services display evidence in the controller of the content format. Amazon puts up an ‘HD’ badge for CD quality, ‘UHD’ for 24-bit (blank otherwise). Amazon and Apple label Atmos content accordingly. Deezer provides the format via a context menu item. 

It appears that Tidal is in a bit of a state of flux, transitioning from MQA (which Sonos can’t play) to HiRes FLAC (which Sonos also can’t play, if it’s above 48kHz). Sonos should in theory fetch 16/44.1 or 16/48 from Tidal come what may, but my past experience was that some content was in MP3. This was a few years ago though, when we could still look under the hood of the Sonos unit. 

BTW AirPlay is capped at 16/44.1.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I agree to the feature request for allowing high rez music streams beyond 24/48 kHz… these days bandwith limitations are not as onerous as it used to be…

Clearly the decoding hardware for up to 24/192kHz have been available for several years now so no reasons other than politics or policies to allow this to take place… Im pretty sure S2 compliant products are ready to go….

I wish there was intelligence build in to the the decoding process to allow streams other than 24/48kHz to take place…  hopefully this will take place soon...

I agree to the feature request for allowing high rez music streams beyond 24/48 kHz… these days bandwith limitations are not as onerous as it used to be…

Clearly the decoding hardware for up to 24/192kHz have been available for several years now so no reasons other than politics or policies to allow this to take place… Im pretty sure S2 compliant products are ready to go….

I wish there was intelligence build in to the the decoding process to allow streams other than 24/48kHz to take place…  hopefully this will take place soon...

Actually, this thread is a request to display the resolution/frequency on the Now Playing screen in the Sonos app.  Nothing to do with playing higher bitrates, aside from the correction about what Sonos can play. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Arh… sorry … wrong place then … the feature request is still valid nonetheless… not sure where  feature requests go...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Best is to contact Sonos support and ask them to create one for you. Once you have that post it here and see if you can get support from other users.

You can post one here and it may be picked up.