Skip to main content

Let’s cut to the chase. I paid a LOT of money on several SONOS products. When it works its great! BUT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!!

I know no other company of hi-end product that periodically issues updates that F something up - seriously.

SONOS…. GET your act together. This is NOT good. In fact it highlights the fact that something is really WRONG with your update procedures and/or testing.

I, like many others, use the library every day on a secondary HDD in my computer. Now, suddenly, it’s all gone. How incredibly frustrating this is. It’s not the fact that this is so bad (which it is...) but that this isn’t the first time a major screw-up has happened, and the worst is the WAIT until you decide to get your techs off their assess and issue a FIX - real quick! 

No, I’m not being overly harsh,…. I’m just a customer who wants some decent stability and QUICK resolutions when something goes bad…. is THAT too much to ask???

Hi,

Does anyone have a work around for th3 913 error code using Windows 10 please, I can’t find a share file in properties. All help much appreciated.

Also in response to Sonos’s customer services, since this update, I have been in contact with an escalation team member & the response i got was essentially a F##K you, that's a you problem, not an us problem, also I was told that I need to use Plex/Youtube or another paid for media sever subscription, which the whole point of my music, is that its on my sever not someone elses, that I have to pay them for the privilege to listen to, my music.

Obviously not what i bought £5k+ worth of Sonos products for, I was eagerly awaiting the headphones, it now appears I will not be buying anymore Sonos products.

I have same problem. Really dispointed. Error 913. Have spoke 2 hours with 2 different filipino guys from Sonos and still nothing works. Please Sonos, give me back the access to my music!

OK, the fix immediately above worked for me, but with one little wrinkle. I have my music library located on a 😨 drive while my iTunes info is still under my C:Music directory. The wrinkle is that they are both named Music, which seems to confuse Sonos. So when you do the step above and share, when you open up the Advanced Sharing dialog, be sure to give that second directory a different name. I shared it with the name DMusic and Sonos found it OK. 

Hi,

Does anyone have a work around for th3 913 error code using Windows 10 please, I can’t find a share file in properties. All help much appreciated.

Also in response to Sonos’s customer services, since this update, I have been in contact with an escalation team member & the response i got was essentially a F##K you, that's a you problem, not an us problem, also I was told that I need to use Plex/Youtube or another paid for media sever subscription, which the whole point of my music, is that its on my sever not someone elses, that I have to pay them for the privilege to listen to, my music.

Obviously not what i bought £5k+ worth of Sonos products for, I was eagerly awaiting the headphones, it now appears I will not be buying anymore Sonos products.

913 error…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.
  2. Click on the SHARE tab and then click on the first SHARE button…
  3. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  4. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.
  5. Open your Sonos app on your PC and add your music library.

Also see this earlier thread with screenshots…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

Thanks but this fix does not work

Hi,

913 error…

1. Right click on the Music folder and click on PROPERTIES at the bottom of the menu.
  2. Click on the SHARE tab and then click on the first SHARE button…
  3. A new window opens and you click on the ‘v’ drop-down list option next to the ADD button.
  4. Click on "Sonos Wireless HiFi System" then click on the ADD button and finally click on SHARE.
  5. Open your Sonos app on your PC and add your music library.

Also see this earlier thread with screenshots…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

Thanks but this fix does not work

No worries, perhaps see the post here with the extra step…

Thank you Ken for the advice you gave.  It appears to be working for me as my Music Library is once again in my Sonos app and is updating now.  Your procedure seems to have done the trick for me  THANKS!

I still wish Sonos would make it easier to find this solution

I managed to put my music library into my sound system. But when I try to access my file it says: no selection available. Can anyone help me please?

I have tried a few of these solutions for Windows ( I’m using Windows 11), but none of them worked right off the bat, or at least they werent the end-all, be-all solution.

What did finally get my music library to reappear in the Sonos app was this:

2. Click the ‘Security’ tab under the Music Properties window.
  3. Click on the ‘Advanced’ button near the bottom of the Music Properties window.
  4. Double-click on “Sonos Wireless HiFi System...” to open the following dialog box.
  5. Make sure all Basic permissions boxes are checked as seen above, and click ‘OK’. two times.

6. Open Sonos app, then go to “Manage” → “Music Library Settings...”, and add your music folder as before.

This is what did it for me. Hope this helps those of you who are still having problems.  Like I said, I did do a few of the other aforementioned steps prior to this working for me, but this worked for me on my PC.

thanks, but this doesn't work.

Absolutely shambolic !  I’ve just spent hours trying to solve this error 913 issue, completely created by SONOS, and have got no where. Ken_Griffiths clearly trying hard to help but the solution provided just doesn’t work on my PC. Looking at the level of actions Lynfisk is recommending is just extraordinary, how can SONOS put customers through this.  It’s not the first time and I won’t be buying any SONOS products ever again.  The post purchase thought for the customer is just non-existent !

Absolutely shambolic !  I’ve just spent hours trying to solve this error 913 issue, completely created by SONOS, and have got no where. Ken_Griffiths clearly trying hard to help but the solution provided just doesn’t work on my PC. Looking at the level of actions Lynfisk is recommending is just extraordinary, how can SONOS put customers through this.  It’s not the first time and I won’t be buying any SONOS products ever again.  The post purchase thought for the customer is just non-existent !

Assuming it’s a Windows PC did you see the post here:

Also if it’s Windows 11, there’s a very good step-by-step guide here from @press250 with handy screenshots on how to setup a Windows SMBv2 share:

The reason for these Sonos changes by the way, is for the same reasons Apple, Microsoft and Google (and others) are no longer supporting the SMBv1, or http shares. This link below provides some explanation for the changes…

https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/smb-protocol-explained-understanding-its-security-risks-and-best-practices

Finally, if you still cannot resolve the local library issue, then I suggest you perhaps get in touch with Sonos Support and see if they can perhaps assist.. see this link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Let’s cut to the chase. I paid a LOT of money on several SONOS products. When it works its great! BUT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE!!

I know no other company of hi-end product that periodically issues updates that F something up - seriously.

SONOS…. GET your act together. This is NOT good. In fact it highlights the fact that something is really WRONG with your update procedures and/or testing.

I, like many others, use the library every day on a secondary HDD in my computer. Now, suddenly, it’s all gone. How incredibly frustrating this is. It’s not the fact that this is so bad (which it is...) but that this isn’t the first time a major screw-up has happened, and the worst is the WAIT until you decide to get your techs off their assess and issue a FIX - real quick! 

No, I’m not being overly harsh,…. I’m just a customer who wants some decent stability and QUICK resolutions when something goes bad…. is THAT too much to ask???

After several days without access to my local iTunes music in Sonos, and Tring the various suggestions here, I discovered that the Permissions on the iTunes Media folder had been set to Read Only.  Changing these (within the Properties in Settings) to grant everyone full access, allowed my Sonos app to Add the folder again.

Don't know why the permissions had been changed but I suspect it was the last iTunes update which I installed last week.

Hope this helps someone else.

Sorry didn’t work for me either. Still got error 913 - unable to add shared folder.

Someone help!!! Old mac mini from 2011, so cannot upload latest OS. Getting 913 message, called Apple and they said it is on SONOS. Tried the YT video but guy had latest OS. What to do? Trash my SONOS Play 1 speakers?

Someone help!!! Old mac mini from 2011, so cannot upload latest OS. Getting 913 message, called Apple and they said it is on SONOS. Tried the YT video but guy had latest OS. What to do? Trash my SONOS Play 1 speakers?

I’m not a MacOS user, so cannot personally give any suggestions here, but I did come across this link below, which if not seen already, you perhaps may find helpful…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/how-to-solve-the-error-913-music-library-on-a-mac-6894161?postid=16732638#post16732638

This whole access thing with SMB whatever seems to play on and on, but perhaps my experience with a library on a Synology NAS may be of interest.

I have a video library on the NAS as well as my music library. The video library is access by a smart tv which is about 8 years old and, as I discovered when I turned off SMB 1 on the NAS per Sonos' advice, only connects through SMB1.

So I ran the combinations and what I found was this:-

SMB1 ON, 2 & 3 OFF - TV connected, Sonos cut off

SMB1 OFF, 2 & 3 ON - TV cut off, Sonos connected

SMB1, 2 & 3 ALL ON - TV AND Sonos connected

YMMV, but this indicates to me that while you do have to have SMB 2 and/or 3 on (probably 3 as 2 is said to be a bit flaky) to allow Sonos access, you don't have to have SMB1 turned off. 

Hope this helps those still struggling. 

After successfully re-adding my iTunes Media folder as my Sonos Music Library some weeks ago and able to enjoy listening through my Sonos speakers again, I hit a different issue yesterday.

I added some new albums into iTunes but when trying to Update Music Library, after a few minutes of watching the 'wheel of death', the process decided iTunes Media could no longer be accessed, despite the fact that I could continue to Add & Play Music to the Queues of different speakers.

This baffles me but then others have pointed out the flakiness of the Sonos App.

After successfully re-adding my iTunes Media folder as my Sonos Music Library some weeks ago and able to enjoy listening through my Sonos speakers again, I hit a different issue yesterday.

I added some new albums into iTunes but when trying to Update Music Library, after a few minutes of watching the 'wheel of death', the process decided iTunes Media could no longer be accessed, despite the fact that I could continue to Add & Play Music to the Queues of different speakers.

This baffles me but then others have pointed out the flakiness of the Sonos App.

There was a Sonos update released yesterday, so perhaps check that both the App and your products are fully up-to-date and then try the reindexing again.

Thanks I'll try again but at about 10.30pm UK time last night it said the App was up-to-date. 

New SONOS version did nor solve for me. I installed the updated version downloaded yesterday, it removed My Music folder on my Mac, I got error 913 and tried the suggested workarounds to no avail.

I have invested in SONOS and it's useless for me now, as all my music is on my mac drive and SONOS cannot access it.

Even in the case the workarounds worked, I think that allowing access to music on a local drive is the “minimum basic feature” for a product that cares about security. the network sharing alternative open ports on mac firewall exposing to possible external attacks.

My Music Library indexation worked OK next day.  I cannot tell whether the new version helped with this asupdates are set to automatic and I cannot tell when they occurred.  

Same problem error code 913. I discovered that my antivirus (Norton) was blocking my file sharing. It seems ok now, fingers crossed

Work-around - (Mac) until Sonos fixes this embarrassing problem: Have my music library in iTunes Match. AppleTV and Sonos connected to TV. That way you can get the library to the rest of the Sonos system.

Work-around - (Mac) until Sonos fixes this embarrassing problem: Have my music library in iTunes Match. AppleTV and Sonos connected to TV. That way you can get the library to the rest of the Sonos system.

Why do you need the TV the matched iCloud library is already part of the service in the Sonos App. In my case I’ve added it to the Home Screen. See screenshot.

On this video I found the solution for me. Hope it works for the rest of you Apple users.

Thanks to this guy who posted this this work around does let you add music files to the library. THANK YOU who ever you are. I don't know if it works for the iPhone app but it worked for my Mac Mini 2 Pro...at the moment.

Why do you need the TV the matched iCloud library is already part of the service in the Sonos App. In my case I’ve added it to the Home Screen. See screenshot.

Thanks for the response. Now I'm not particularly knowledgeable in data (which I don't think should be a requirement for a regular Sonos customer) Ref. screenshot of the GUI. I've tried looking for this option in my Sonos GUI, but can't find it.  What I (think) I have found is that my NAS (Apple AirPort Captule) probably has SMB1.  The new requirements are SMB 2 or 3. If that is the case, my HW no longer works.