Can't add new product in The New App

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 106 replies

Hi folks

Anyone have problem add a new speaker to the app? I just upgrade from the Playbase to a Ray…and the app crashes and i’m stuck. Anyone have the same issue….and yes…i try add the Playbase again but the app crash here as well. I have been in contact with Sonos support,but they could not help me…they say i might just wait a few days utill they have fix the problem.

Have a Good Day👍

19 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m having a similar issue, after updating the iPhone app, my Boost disappeared and my Connect refused to play music, so I reset it.

I have been able to add the Connect again but I keep getting an error when trying to register the device.

I’m not sure whether this is Sonos’ way of telling me that the update has kicked my Connect off the system or whether it’s a bug in the app.

I have the previous version of the app in another iPhone but that is now displaying a message forcing me to update - the app won’t work any more. 

In my case, the only way I’ve been able to get a stable connection across the house is with the Boost, so if that and the Connect are no longer able to work with the system (and they’re not selling a Boost replacement), I will have little choice to get rid of the rest of my Sonos gear, as it won’t be fit for purpose.

This looks like a complete and utter disaster.

I am having the same problem. Just received my Ray and was prompted to update my app on my phone before adding the new speaker to my system, which I did. When I get to the “register” phase of setup, I press continue and then the new app crashes. When i tried to open the app using my secondary iphone, it automatically updated the app and the same problem occurred. I also tried to see if I could connect via the desktop app on my Mac. After opening, i am notified that “Sonos needs to get the latest software”, I download it, restart the app and it starts the whole process over again. This update is apparently very flawed. If anyone has a fix, please share as Im sure contacting Sonos at this point will be a frustratingly fruitless endeavor.

Thanks

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It looks like there may be some issues with the latest build of S2 as well.

It’s not clear to me how the new iOS controller app managed to knock out perfectly working speakers - that must’ve been an S2 issue.

Hopefully they are aware of that as well.

I suspect this is an even bigger mess than it might have initially appeared. 

Userlevel 2

Just decided to add Sonos to a new room (2x Era100 + Sub Mini). I already have an Arc+Era300+SubGen3 in my living room and Move2 in my Kitchen. Setup on my existing Sonos speakers have always been a breeze. Sadly (and presumably due to the new iOS app) I am not able to add my new Era100s and Sub Mini. They do seem to connect to my WiFi, but are now showing up in app as “Not Registered” and attempt to fix keep failing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Take them back to the shop and see if this * passes. If it does, buy them again new. Be very wary about future Sonos press releases as they lie.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 2

Take them back to the shop and see if this * passes. If it does, buy them again new. Be very wary about future Sonos press releases as they lie.

That’s a bit of a sledgehammer approach. Obviously SONOS F-ed up here, but happy to hold onto my speakers while they fix it on their end.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I would 100% return something I was unable to add and check again in the future.  Why have them sitting gathering dust with return period and warranty ticking away needlessly?  Not a sledgehammer approach at all in my eyes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

A lot of people on here are complaining about the missing features and UX issues with the new app (that’s what the media are reporting on too) but if this update has rendered folk’s speakers completely dud, I would hope that Sonos are prioritising that over minor issues with the new iPhone app. I have spent thousands on my setup and as of yesterday, most of it is useless - I don’t care about minor issues in the app (as much), I want my speakers working.

UPDATE: The app is no longer crashing when I try to click the continue button to register my new Ray speaker, however, it progresses to the point where it tries to link the new speaker to my account then fails every time. I have tried the suggested restarting of my router, phone and speaker but the same problems exists. Has any one had any luck on their end yet?

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

#dcbussey

No change at my system. Still crashes and goes back to “homescreen” on my iPhone

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The app isn’t crashing for me, I’m just getting the fails to register message.

I feel somewhat better knowing others are having the same issue with this.

Userlevel 2

Problem solved thanks to Jose from tech support. The solution was simple, so I hope it helps others out there.

Sign out of the app, Sign back in… Then the “Fix It” flow under the “not registered” devices worked!

Good luck!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@kevinbkk thanks for that - that has at least partially solved my problems, as some of my missing speakers have come back online.

I need to try wiring up the others and see if that works - my Connect is too far away from the others to connect wirelessly. 

I will report back tomorrow, once I get some Ethernet cable. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I can now report that after signing out and signing back in, most of my previously missing speakers are back, however:

• The Connect that I reset cannot be registered and I am experiencing the same issue that has been reported here - the app is crashing when trying to register. I have tried this on 2 iPhones and an iPad and I am getting the same behaviour.
  • My Boost has been kicked off the network and I cannot add it back - if Sonos was planning to remove support (as in render the device useless) via the update, this should have been communicated explicitly and not have customers trying to figure out what is going on, in the middle of the rest of the s**tfest that is going on around this release.

Again, as I have said earlier, there are major functional bugs with the current builds of both the Controller  app and the speaker software - I hope these are being looked at and worked on, in addition to the missing features.

I am not looking forward to using the system now, as I fear I will end up doing QA on this absolute mess of a release.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Here is what i have experied:

I log out from the account…i delited the app,and download it again. Sign in. But there was no speakers or rooms there… Then i factory reset ALL of my Sonos-devices. The Ray,Ikea Symfonisk Book shelf and Sub Mini…and both of my Roam’s and the Move played along pretty well. Upstairs the Beam Gen2 did ok in my bedroom,but not the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp’s or the Gen 3’s. In my Home Cinema-room the Arc play’ed along but not the Era 300’s. By this time i had log out and delited the app multiple times…and i disconnected my Philips Hue and Eufy Homebase 3-systems… I used over 50% of battery on my iPhone 14 Pro Max over a 4hr period…

What’s left with issues is now:

one of my two Five’s(stereopair in my Home Cinema-room)

Two Era 100’s(bedroom stereopair)

Sub Mini for the Five’s

A Ikea Symfonisk Lamp Gen 1

They will still not connect. The app is not crashing,but i get an error and sometimes a code(1104) i think it was. And they will not connect to my wifi.

Another issue: In my bedroom i did Trueplay for the Beam,Lamp&dual Gen3’s…no problem. But the Arc,Era 300’s&dual Gen3 AND livingroom downstairs with the Ray,Ikea Book Shelf&Sub Mini….no way. After the wawing around sequence the app freezes…like stuck,and i had to force the app to shut down. 
So that’s my world today….

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

…and today i manage to connect the Five,Sub Mini,both Era 100’s and the Ikea Symfonisk Lamp. The Ikea Symfonisk Lamp was the most painfull to get connected. I might have tried 10-12 times before it was accepted in the app. But the Arc-system still won’t trueplay. My Beam Gen 2 and the Ray did ok with trueplay. 
Let’s hope there will be an update soon.

Userlevel 1

Same problem. Can’t add speakers I purchased last week (5/10/2024). Tried app on iPhone, iPad and S24 android phone. No dice. App upgrade is a show stopping failure.

I tried the same lame troubleshooting tips as others. I found the most stupid workaround, if you believe this insanity. I connected my new speaker to my wireless router via Ethernet cable. Still couldn’t register the speaker. While pressing the pause/play button, the new speaker started playing the sound from an LG tv that was close by. Not the intended tv. Not the intended room. Still couldn’t register the speaker but it did play the tv sound of a close by tv. This sounds totally stupid and it is quite bizarre, but is true.

As a Mac OS user who also dabbles in Android and has had a past filled with Solaris UNIX and Red Hat Linux system updates, I can unequivocally say the SONOS update is the worst I have ever experienced in my life of fooling around with software and operating systems. The worst upgrade ever.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

I belive there has been an update in the Sonos-app. I’m not at home at the moment to check if this solve the trueplay-issues…and the setup for a new device. Anyone?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I just updated the app and am getting the same behaviour - the app just crashes when I try to register the Connect. I tried the usual reset the Connect, sign out, close the app, sign back in etc - nothing will work.

I have a new Era300 sitting in a box that I have yet to set up and I can’t bring myself to do it.

How is this not the major talking point of this app release? Surely anyone who has bought a new Sonos device since the app update has been unable to get it set up? 
It is infuriating that the update hasn’t solved this.