Answered

Trueplay and Android

• 11 January 2017
  • 60 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I have nearly $2000 of Sonos equipment. I love Sonos. Now comes Trueplay for tuning my Sonos speakers. What? Only iOS? Does anyone else here have an Android phone? I have used a Yamaha 4000 sound bar for years with speaker tuning and I love it. I really think Trueplay would improve my Sonos experience so I guess I better get an iPhone? :S:?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 11 January 2017, 19:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

60 replies

The reasons for no Android is the number of different microphones on Android hardware, even within the same model line, makes it impossible to configure the Trueplay algorithm for every one. iPhone mics are standardized to just a few models. so the configuration is possible.

Borrow an iOS device for an hour or so and Trueplay your system. All settings will still apply, and are able to be switched on and off, when controlled via Android.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Will there ever be an Android version? If not, does anyone wish to purchase my Play 3s?
I'd be happy to. I'll offer $5. Each, even.

You seriously think that you're missing out on that much, and don't have a friend who has an iOS device you could borrow for an hour?
I love Sonos. Now comes Trueplay for tuning my Sonos speakers. What? Only iOS? Does anyone else here have an Android phone?

+1
I think you've made your point, insertusernamehere. No need to do a "+1" on every single thread that mentions this. Please.
I think you've made your point, insertusernamehere. No need to do a "+1" on every single thread that mentions this. Please.

Actually IMO yes i do to show my agreement.
Well, ELAC doesn't appear to have a problem doing it with Android phones, so it is feasible. I believe they require a microphone calibration step before the room tuning.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/elac-element-ea101eq-g-integrated-amplifier-announced/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can be sure that Sonos would rather have Trueplay on Android than not as they will inevitably cheese off a lot of customers but it is extremely churlish to suggest this is for any other reason than the stated (by Sonos) variation in microphones leading to variable results. I'm quite sure they will have attempted to calibrate the devices on the fly but for all we know the microphones are so rubbish that not only do they vary tremendously by phone but also temporally during the tuning process.

Either way. It IS trivial to borrow a mates iOS device for 10 minutes and tune your speakers

No nead to take the piss ffs.
Avec 8 Play:1 et 1 Connect et 1 controller Androïd sur Samsung S7 (87% du marché mondial des smartphones en 2016 !) je m'étonne de l'inertie de Sonos qui ne fait rien pour développer TruePlay sur Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Avec 8 Play:1 et 1 Connect et 1 controller Androïd sur Samsung S7 (87% du marché mondial des smartphones en 2016 !) je m'étonne de l'inertie de Sonos qui ne fait rien pour développer TruePlay sur Android.

Comment vous savez il's ont rien fait?
Userlevel 1
Why can't they just supply a remote with a mic in it. Job done
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
or you borrow an ios device ... seems a lot cheaper and easier. Job done.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I think everyone who defends Sonos, makes it too easy for them. How hard can it be to bring a microphone to the market, which android users can plug into their phone, which has a similar quality level as an iPhone mic (which can't be more expensive than 5$)? i totally understand, that it is hard to make an app, which gives good truetone quality for all the android devices out there, but why not sell an externel mic?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think everyone who defends Sonos, makes it too easy for them. How hard can it be to bring a microphone to the market, which android users can plug into their phone, which has a similar quality level as an iPhone mic (which can't be more expensive than 5$)? i totally understand, that it is hard to make an app, which gives good truetone quality for all the android devices out there, but why not sell an externel mic?

Why would any sensible person want to spend their good money on a device that is used once and then filed away for years? It's a 5 minute job to borrow an iPhone or iPad.

Besides, as custodians of the only planet we have it beholds us all to push back on our disgustingly consumerist society.
Userlevel 3
Sorry, but the assumption that you can just totter off and 'borrow' an iPhone anytime you want is just silly. It would be far easier to buy a $10 - $20 mic on Amazon and stick in a drawer when I'm done. Having this available only for iCrap is ridiculous.
I agree. It is fine to not have had Android tuning ready at the launch, but two years down the line from then to still not have addressed the needs of Android users is just laziness. Or lack of resources. As the ELAC example quote above shows, it is possible to do if there exists a will to get it done.
Userlevel 3
I am another customer stung by this. There was no advertisement up front that Android user is not fully supported.

If there are too many variation on Android, how about you target the majority first? Samsung galaxy S7 / S8 series?

Or sell separate microphone to calibrate which can be resold/shared for other Android users.

No progress after 2 years on Android trueplay, will be hesitant to invest on Sonos promises... 😞
Directly from this website, under the Trueplay area:

Tuning is quick and easy.

It takes just a few minutes and an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.

Where would you prefer it to be "advertised"?
Userlevel 3
It does not mention that in Sonos Products page. i.e. https://www.sonos.com/en-au/shop/play3.html

This is what it says about Trueplay in Sonos product page.
"Sonos uses Trueplay tuning to make sure you get the very best sound out of your PLAY:3. No matter where you put it."

With sonos phylosophy of agnostic system and the price, I expected that to just work :P

My mistake though for did not do research (just got over excited with many reviews which often does not mention about this as well).
Ah, I see your point. I clicked on the "Learn more about TruePlay" link, and found the iOS quote. You'd prefer to have it at the top level. Got it.
Userlevel 3
Finally able to borrow iPhone and setup Trueplay for both orientation on my Play 3. It improves the sound as other people has mention (less muddy in the mids). It makes it enjoyable to listen now (I almost return the speaker previously).

It will be helpful if Sonos can make a solution for Android (either with selling separate mic or select major brands???).
It is useful for me who don't have many friends with iPhone.
I cannot move my speaker or play around with different placing unless I have iPhone on hand next time.
Also good luck bringing this speaker to South East Asia not many IPhone around :?
I would assume that Sonos is doing everything possible to figure out a way to bring TruePlay to Android. That being said, I also assume that it's an extremely complex issue, given the wide variety of hardware on Android devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A Bluetooth microphone that could be connected to any Android device would make sense to me.

Why market a feature like True Play and then tell most of your audience they have to jump through silly hoops to get it to work and again if they move any devices?
Userlevel 2
I was looking at buying two Sonos Ones, but learning this throws a wrinkle into things. Having to find an acquaintance who has an Apple device I can use, and getting them to come over to setup my speakers just isn't a viable option for me.