Answered

sonos system constantly requires rebooting router

I have had sonos for a few years now. I initially had a play 3 with a bridge (this worked fine). 
After the system upgrades a few years ago the bridge went, along with the play 3 (different reasons). I now have a move and a play 1 and no bridge.

Almost every time i come to use it i have to restart the router to make it connect. Constantly i have “unable to connect fix it” message, using that link does nothing except make you reconnect everything, utterly useless. 

I use the speakers without cables, since this is by far the most convenient setup for me. But it simply doesnt work. My laptop, my tv, my phones, everything else works fine, never a problem. But the speakers just dont work properly. I try them separately, together, through spotify, through sonos app nothing. Only a router reboot does the job. This is hardly a seamless system.

I have moved house 4 times with this system, each time have a new WiFi network from a different provider in a different location. And always never a problem with any other products. 

Please, what is wrong with this. I am seriously considering cutting my loses and giving up. There seems to be many complains about this online, but no solution. I have to use my move on bluetooth when i actually want to use it. The other option seems to be to buy a bridge and use that wired to the router. In this day and age this should be totally unnecessary. 

What is going wrong here?

icon

Best answer by CarlosAguera 20 April 2021, 20:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My first step would be to go to the router’s DHCP page and assign all Sonos devices a static/reserved IP address, followed by powering everything down and back up, router first.

Once that is done and you have another failure there are other things to check but it is fast, simple and has worked for a lot of folks.

thanks stanley_4. I have already done this, still the same problem. 

Additionally, from time to time, the Sonos App wont connect to the system on either my android or my iphone, but it works through spotify. 

I had the EXACT same problem and found that adding a sonos boost fixed it completely.  All speakers have their own dedicated channel network and they are always found no matter what.  It costs 100 bucks for a boost but it does the job!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d say try the wired SonosNet option if your Bridge was working. If you can wire one speaker to test out how it works, if the wire in unwanted but works, then grab a Boost (Bridge is not a good option today) and give it a shot.

If you want help from Sonos wiat for the issue to happen and submit a diagnostic. Post the code here or call Sonos with it and they can give you a better idea.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You are in the UK, so you are probably suffering from a so-called BT Smart Hub router. Either throw that in the trash and get a decent router, or disable the 5GHz radio to work-around the recent update that broke Sonos compatibility.

I am in the uk with a BT home hub 5 and it was working ok up until a few days ago. Now I have to reboot the router almost constantly for any mobile app to connect to any speaker. 

I’ve had a problem similar to this. After re-establishing the connection, it would then drop it overnight and I would have to do the same thing next day.

I decided to stop my Beam for automatically searching for updates every night by switching this off in the Beam settings and this seems to have worked. The Beam connection has been stable since I did this. I know I shouldn’t have to do this but it’s a workaround that seems to have solved the issue. I believe there has been an app update or something to cause the problem in the first place so hopefully this will be addressed in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am in the uk with a BT home hub 5 and it was working ok up until a few days ago. Now I have to reboot the router almost constantly for any mobile app to connect to any speaker. 

Either get a decent router, or disable the 5GHz radio. They shipped an update recently that was laughably disfunctional. Disabling the 5GHz radio works around the worst of their regressions.

My router is the BT Smart Hub 2. I’m going to try the disabling 5GHz option. Looking at the settings the latest firmware was installed 29/03 and I think it was around then that the problems started happening with my Beam.

I’m suffering this exact same problem too, I also have the BT Smart Hub 2. 

Is there a specific make and model of router that works well with Sonos that people would recommend to replace my Smart Hub with as I’m pretty sure BT Won’t release a fix any time soon. 

Thanks

Hello. 
I am also having this problem. I have 9 devices connected via a BT Homehub 5. I also have a boost which hasn’t helped with the issue. Not knowing the actual issue (BT or Sonos) but would creating a separate WAP using an Apple Time Capsule on 5Ghz be a workaround?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The official Sonos suggestions for users suffering from crappy BT routers is from Corry P here:

(Wow, you still have DSL in the UK??)

Either get a decent router, or disable the 5GHz radio. They shipped an update recently that was laughably disfunctional. Disabling the 5GHz radio works around the worst of their regressions.

Thanks controlav. I turned off the 5mhz channel for a couple of days now and since then the Sonos system has been behaving itself. It sounds like an issue I will take up with BT and see how they respond.