Answered

S2 app dropped support for Android 7?

• 27 January 2021
  • 32 replies

The latest version upgrade of S2 12.2.4 has started to say that the OS on my Motorola G4+ phone Android 7.0 is no longer supported. It now no longer finds my Sonos Play:1 and Play:3 speakers in the app. The notification directs me to the Sonos website documentation that says that Andriod 7 is supported. I haven’t seen any announcements that Sonos is dropping support for Android 7. Why is this happening?

icon

Best answer by Coloneltitos 29 January 2021, 11:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Same problem with S2 12.2.4 version for my samsung A3 (2016) which runs on android 7.0. No information or warning on this point before downloading the new application. This is the first time I have had this type of problem with an application.

Here, we are really on a perfect example of planned obsolescence. The speakers no longer even appear in the app, making it unusable. At a minimum, it would be nice if the app remained usable with the main features. There, I find that a little borderline, even almost scandalous.

Guys, this is a bug; has already been passed on to Support and Product Department.

Smilja, thanks for the response, I suspected as much. Any idea when we might expect a fix...I have experience of working with support and development teams, I’m not holding my breath.

I have an Arc and one SLs for surrounds that are working perfectly with my android 7.0 phone. Tried to add a subwoofer 3 today and the Sonos app 2 updated to version 12.2.4  Now the app states that the operating system is no longer supported. Spoke to support today and was told android 7.0 was no longer supported. ??? If the app is not fixed within ten days the subwoofer will have to be returned. :joy:

Hi SaurianFire,  I spoke to support and logged my issue here at the same time, support came back and said that Android 7 is still supported and that there must be an issue on my network as I use homeplugs (ethernet over power) and remote access points. I pushed back on this as my config has been working without issues for years and the only thing that had changed was the S2 app version. Then Smilja came back on here and reported it was a bug and has been reported. I imagine a lot of Sonos customers with perfectly serviceable Android 7 phones would be very upset if support was dropped in this way with no heads up announcement. Have some sympathy with your predicament though having just bought a new Sub and no way to add it. Let’s hope they turn the fix around quickly.

The latest version upgrade of S2 12.2.4 has started to say that the OS on my Motorola G4+ phone Android 7.0 is no longer supported. It now no longer finds my Sonos Play:1 and Play:3 speakers in the app. The notification directs me to the Sonos website documentation that says that Andriod 7 is supported. I haven’t seen any announcements that Sonos is dropping support for Android 7. Why is this happening?

On a quick Google, the G4+ is upgradeable to at least Android 8.1.  So that might be a good idea anyway, as security fixes are no longer being provided on Android 7.

All please note.  It your device is capable of running a higher version than 7, you should be updating to that higher version, as Google has withdrawn support from v7 and so will no longer be providing security patches if you stay on v7.

Just as a general point, it isn’t Sonos who withdraw support from Android versions, it is Google.  Once they have ceased providing security fixes it becomes inevitable that sooner or later Sonos will be unable to maintain the app on that version securely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

You could try and roll back with APKMIRROR, if the speakers have upgraded their firmware I don't know how far you'd get though?.

I'm still on S1, works good enough for me.

Hey Frizzie I rec’d an email from support appologizing for my inconvenience with the Sub Gen 3 and it stated:

“ We did receive an update on this matter. We are having this issue with that Android version and that it should be fixed with a future software update. “

I was very happy with the reply except when I re-read it the word “should” stood out. 

I do need to buy a new phone but was planning on next year when 5G was more established. Right now I’m thinking of keeping the Sub. The only problem is if I keep the Sub and it’s defective I lose my window of opportunity to return it. 

Well 12 hrs later and version 12.2.5 works fine. Thought the sub would be more prominent but its a keeper.

I confirm: bug fixed and app works fine on my phone with 12.2.5 version. Thanks to the Sonos support. More fear than harm...

On a quick Google, the G4+ is upgradeable to at least Android 8.1.  So that might be a good idea anyway, as security fixes are no longer being provided on Android 7.

All please note.  It your device is capable of running a higher version than 7, you should be updating to that higher version, as Google has withdrawn support from v7 and so will no longer be providing security patches if you stay on v7.

My G4+ like many others I suspect did not automatically receive the update to Oreo from Motorola and as I was having no other issues I didn’t go chasing after an upgrade. As it turns out I have now upgraded to 8.1 to give me a little more future-proofing. It was a painful process as Lenovo/Motorola are not now supporting that upgrade officially so I had to go about it in a less than straightforward way which took several hours. Nevertheless, it’s good to see that for those people not in a position to upgrade their OS or wanting to buy a new phone Sonos have fixed the bug in their app in Ver. 12.2.5.

So one month later and update version 13 has the same problem. OS on this device no longer supported.  Come on.

So one month later and update version 13 has the same problem. OS on this device no longer supported.  Come on.

I am afraid support for Android 7 really has gone this time.  Or rather is now only partially supported.  What sort of message are you getting and under what circumstances?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

I am afraid support for Android 7 really has gone this time.  Or rather is now only partially supported.  What sort of message are you getting and under what circumstances?

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3521?language=en_US

Since the version 13 update there is a warning on the top of the screen The OS on this device is no longer supported More info”

The More info states that the app can no longer receive updates. 

I am getting that message too, it seems very final. And the app is more niggly than usual now. Frustrating, yes my android 7 phone is a little lean in the tooth but it works fine for everything I want to do...except play music.

I am getting that message too, it seems very final. And the app is more niggly than usual now. Frustrating, yes my android 7 phone is a little lean in the tooth but it works fine for everything I want to do...except play music.

Same here. 

I wonder if Sonos could make the message a little less prominent?  Or even make it dismissable. I’m not buying a new tablet just to run the Sonos app, and I’m unable to upgrade the OS on the tablet, and I don’t need reminding every time I open the app.

I have a logitech media server running, and can run my Play:1 speakers via that (and indeed do so on an older smartphone) using the squeezer app, but I’d much rather use the Sonos app. Sometimes I feel like I’m being slowly pushed away from/by Sonos.

Same here. 

ISometimes I feel like I’m being slowly pushed away from/by Sonos.

And what is your reasoning for that?  Google stopped supporting Android 7 some time back.  Sonos continue to partially support it.  If you decide to upgrade, it doesn’t result in a sale for Sonos, because they don’t sell phones or tablets.  Please explain.

Guys, this is a bug; has already been passed on to Support and Product Department.

A bug, but I’m coming from this topic :

To this one, because I had a similar warning on my Tab S2 8” that is running Android 7.0 (I though it was 6 to be frank). I use it at home like a remote control for a lot of thing and it’s working nicely that way. So why Sonos now depreciate the app ? Even with the warning, I’m sorry but it’s a 3 old OS, that’s not “that” old considering the newer OS. That Sonos launch a warning saying that they could be bug sometimes (Een if it’s already the case haha) on the depreciated app I’m okay with, but this planned obsolescence, sorry but that’s not the Sonos that I knew/bought and that’s mainly why I’ve stopped purchasing Sonos since 2 years to see where it will go. Not in the right direction in term of software imho. Make a full controller for Windows then instead of removing functions since S2 :/

@GregLu, See Sonos app requirements.

Sonos S2 app

• iOS 12 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 8.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Sonos S1 app

• iOS 12 and higher
  • iPadOS 13 and higher
  • Android 8.0 and higher (Not supported on Chromebooks)
  • Fire OS 7 and higher

Some OS versions are no longer supported, but still work with basic Sonos features like browsing music and controlling playback. For more information, see our article on unsupported OS versions.

Thanks for that, but when S2 was launched, this wasn’t mentionned and that’s I mention. If I knew, perhaps I would’ve kept on S1 system and if this post help others, that’s good :)

If browsing and clock/alarm is still on the tablet that’s fine by me :)

See above, the requirements for S1 & S2 are the same.

I use it at home like a remote control for a lot of thing and it’s working nicely that way. So why Sonos now depreciate the app ? Even with the warning, I’m sorry but it’s a 3 old OS, that’s not “that” old considering the newer OS.

You’re not the target market any more...

Many people these days have phone contracts where every two or three years they’re given a brand new handset - it’s all factored in as part of the monthly fee. So there’s no incentive to keep older phones working, despite the waste of the worlds resources. Sonos applies the same criteria - they don’t repair anything, just ‘recycle’ it. It’s all part of the ‘throwaway society’

I don’t buy into the ‘security’ argument - if Sonos cared about security then they would have fixed the SMB1 issue when changing to S2. The reason that they only support more modern hardware/software is because it’s easier and cheaper for them to do so. 

I use it at home like a remote control for a lot of thing and it’s working nicely that way. So why Sonos now depreciate the app ? Even with the warning, I’m sorry but it’s a 3 old OS, that’s not “that” old considering the newer OS.

Many people these days have phone contracts where every two or three years they’re given a brand new handset - it’s all factored in as part of the monthly fee. So there’s no incentive to keep older phones working, despite the waste of the worlds resources. Sonos applies the same criteria - they don’t repair anything, just ‘recycle’ it. It’s all part of the ‘throwaway society’

Not true.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/certified-refurbished-2

Not true.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/certified-refurbished-2

I would imagine that these are just customer returns...

As far as I’m aware, they won’t fix your broken kit and return it to you.