Answered

S1 and S2 on the same network and how to do it

• 26 July 2020
  • 9 replies

I have a Sonos system in which all components are on the one network. There are twelve Sonos units (Beam, Connect:Amps and Ones), and two of the Connect:Amps are legacy gen 1s. 

I would like to make one floor of my house S1 including the old gen 1 Connect:Amps, and one floor S2 with the remaining units.

I understand from a previous reply that I can have two Sonos systems - one S1 and one S2 - all on the same network.

If so, are there any specific concerns, or ways that I need to set this up to make it work well?

I’d like to have two of the S2-capable devices on the S1 system (to allow me to airplay to all speakers on the S1 system). Is there a way to specify/make these S2-capable Sonos units join the S1 system?

Thank you

Cal

icon

Best answer by HoJuBart 3 August 2020, 14:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You can split your system into S1 and S2 devices, but you cannot mix them (eg add an S1 to an s2 group).

Here is how I recommend splitting the system:

Install S1 app and verify all devices are working. Decline any prompts to upgrade any players to S2.

Power down all Sonos devices.

Power up first S2-desired device, only, and factory reset it.

Start S2 app, “create new system”, should find your sole S2 device. Verify that works.

For each other S2-desired device, factory reset it then Add it to the S2 app.

Repeat for all S2-desired devices. Verify S2 app + devices all happy.

Power up S1 devices. Verify S1 app still happy.

Use my app (see profile) to get playlists from S1 system to S2 system :-)

Thank you controlav - your input is much appreciated :-)

As I have 11 Sonos units and only two of them are S1 limited, I was hoping for a method that only meant I had to factory reset these two older units, rather than my 9 S2-compatible units.

This is what I did and it worked well:

1. First of all, I removed the two S1-only older units from my current S1 system using this technique https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4829?language=en_US
  2. Then my remaining 9 S2-compatible units were updated to S2 en masse, after loading the S2 app and performing an update
  3. Then I set up a separate S1-only system using these instructions https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4833?language=en_US

Of note, all my units are on the one hard-wired ethernet network.

This has worked well.

As I said above, thank you to controlav for giving me one method - appreciated.

Cheers

Cal

Badge +2

Folks

I am running an S1 and S2 system side by side.

S1 - Consists of a CONNECT and a basic bridge. The bridge is hardwired into my router and uses SonosNet CH1. The CONNECT is in my daughters room upstairs.

S2 - CONNECT AMP, SONOS AMP and PLAY1 - All WIFI

This seems to work for a short period of time, sometimes up to a week. But then I get a notification (up to date iOS on phone) while using S2 that it has detected another system, directing me to the S1? It never does it vice versa.

What there doesn't seem to be is an option to “Ignore” 

When I reset the S2 app, it just comes up with the same issue? 

Bizarrely, on my S2 desktop app this doesn't happen. 

Help appreciated please :)

thanks 

Paul

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @deepseadiver, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Let me help you with this.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system (S1 and S2 apps) for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Badge +2

Hi @deepseadiver, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Let me help you with this.

Please submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system (S1 and S2 apps) for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

Hi thanks Rowena

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @deepseadiver, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me check it for you.

The diagnostic that you sent me is from your S1 system, showing the Bridge as wired to your router and your Sonos Connect. Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network, either between Sonos devices and your router or between Sonos and the internet.

To correct this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above and you're still experiencing the same problem, please contact our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting and understand your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.

Badge +2

Thanks, I will try that and let you know✊

Badge +2

Thanks, I will try that and let you know✊

So far so good. Although my CONNECT:AMP took a bit of coaxing and had turn leave turned off overnight and factory reset this morning.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @deepseadiver, thank you for your response and for updating us. I'm glad that your system is working. 

If you encounter any issues, just submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number for us to check what’s going on.

Please do not hesitate to reach out or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. 

The Sonos Community is always here to help.