Answered

Recently added to library

• 15 March 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Is there a way to quickly list the most recently added albums to the local library?
icon

Best answer by John B 15 March 2019, 12:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi. There isn't, as it seems you have now discovered, given your post on another thread. With a handful of posts over five years, that thread isn't suggesting a huge demand for this feature, although I can see why you would like it. I honestly would not expect any enhancements to Music Library functionality now. Sonos' direction of travel is clearly towards streaming. I expect local library support to be maintained, but I suspect Sonos has long ceased looking at enhancements. Of course I could be wrong - that is just my reading of things.
Oh there’s a demand. I search for this bout monthly. What a pain that we can’t do this!

At least think about letting us write plugins for Sonos? It would take all of 30 minutes to write and test a Python script to crawl my music directories and group and sort by date created.

Sonos is great but it’s only a matter of time before a more open system comes along, and hopefully one where we’re not forced to upgrade the software seemingly weekly.

Cheers,

masshu
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Who selected that nonsense as a best answer!!!!! What nonsense!!!! I'm not buying any more Sonos stuff until local library is improved. I'm not a streamer and I don't intend to be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Who selected that nonsense as a best answer!!!!! What nonsense!!!! I'm not buying any more Sonos stuff until local library is improved. I'm not a streamer and I don't intend to be.

Hi, haverer2. It was I that marked the answer to this topic. I deemed John's response to have answered your question effectively. In spite of the fact that it may not have been what you wanted to hear, it is factually correct: There is no way to do this.

We are indeed looking at moving more towards streaming. It is by and large the most widely utilised method amongst our userbase. Though I cannot speak to the likelihood of any future developments and improvements to local library functionality, I will be sure to forward your feedback. Thank you.

Who selected that nonsense as a best answer!!!!! What nonsense!!!! I'm not buying any more Sonos stuff until local library is improved. I'm not a streamer and I don't intend to be.Hi, haverer2. It was I that marked the answer to this topic. I deemed John's response to have answered your question effectively. In spite of the fact that it may not have been what you wanted to hear, it is factually correct: There is no way to do this.

We are indeed looking at moving more towards streaming. It is by and large the most widely utilised method amongst our userbase. Though I cannot speak to the likelihood of any future developments and improvements to local library functionality, I will be sure to forward your feedback. Thank you.

Please forward this request to your teams. IMHO people who use sonos extensively ( meaning also spending loads of money for sonos amps and players ) who certainly enjoy having a Playlist under "Home Library" showing the latest 20 Album imports (give users the option to change the value)e.g.

Programming wise this should be super simple as you only need to check the timestamp import and show them in a playlsit.

Thanks

Hi, haverer2. It was I that marked the answer to this topic. I deemed John's response to have answered your question effectively. In spite of the fact that it may not have been what you wanted to hear, it is factually correct: There is no way to do this.

This is a disappointing answer from the staff. Such a simple and obvious feature. Plenty of people still have large collections of music on their home library and continue to add to it. Such a weird thing to omit and even stranger to admit you are moving away from a large feature towards streaming, basically isolating part of the userbase in favor of another. I use my sonos not only for streaming (I don’t pay for any streaming service), but also my local home library and also with line-in for my vinyl collection. There are many ways to use sonos and that’s what attracted me to the system. Your response makes it sound like the direction of sonos is moving towards streaming, and away from the other features. That’s concerning and I hope future updates don’t get rid of those features all together.

This is a disappointing answer from the staff. Such a simple and obvious feature. Plenty of people still have large collections of music on their home library and continue to add to it. Such a weird thing to omit and even stranger to admit you are moving away from a large feature towards streaming, basically isolating part of the userbase in favor of another.

……………………….

That’s concerning and I hope future updates don’t get rid of those features all together.

As someone who only streams from a NAS, I can only sympathize. However, it doesn’t change the fact that (according to Sonos) the proportion of people who still stream locally is very small, and reducing all the time. Consequently, our wishes are increasingly unimportant in the scheme of things. Personally, I exceeded the Sonos limits for content a year or two ago, so have been aware that Sonos is no longer my ideal solution.

However, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t options available to you. Although the much mentioned Plex option on Sonos is a bit of a dog’s dinner, casting is possible - either by using a Chromecast Audio into any Sonos line in socket (e.g. on a Play 5) or direct to the unit itself. The latter approach can be a bit clumsy. Using an app like HifiCast to cast music from a NAS music server onto a CCA, I not only have access to my full library again, but can also play ‘hi-res’ tracks natively. There is also a ‘recently added’ option, although it seems to go by date added, rather than ‘last 20’. No, it’s not as neat as Sonos actually having the functionality that I require, but the chances of Sonos upgrading the functionality of local streaming is (IMHO) near to zero. So it’s either scrap the Sonos kit or learn how to make the best use of what I have - until it dies, when I’ll need to look at alternatives.

As far as the future goes, whilst I doubt that Sonos will remove local streaming in the very near future, they are most likely to continue pushing into more ‘trendy’ areas in order to stay competitive - e.g. streaming, voice control etc. - which makes perfect commercial sense. Consequently, I can envisage a point somewhere in the future where the number of local streamers is very small indeed, and space is needed in the players to make way for new features.