Answered

List Of Ports

• 29 May 2018
  • 7 replies

I'm looking for a full list of Ports to give to IT provider where I have installed Sonos equipment . Its a corporate network and security is quite tight
icon

Best answer by JackWright 29 May 2018, 14:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/688?language=en_US&utm_medium=firewall&utm_source=cr-care&utm_content=english-cr-care-firewall

Scroll down and you will see all the network ports Sonos uses. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The list in that support article is a list of ports that a software firewall on a computer would need to allow in order to have full control over a Sonos system AND also allow that computer to host a music library that Sonos would be accessing. So if your IT provider needed to set up firewall software on a computer, that's what they would need to allow through for Sonos to work.

From a network firewall perspective, nothing from the internet should need inbound access to your Sonos devices.

Your Sonos devices would need to be able to make outbound connections on TCP 80, TCP 443, and any other ports that streaming servers might use. Some stations listed in TuneIn could use other ports, like TCP 8000 (the default port for Shoutcast and Icecast streaming servers) and TCP 8080. Most other music services should be fine with ports 80 and 443.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/688?language=en_US&utm_medium=firewall&utm_source=cr-care&utm_content=english-cr-care-firewall

Scroll down and you will see all the network ports Sonos uses. :)

That's not true, there are other ports Sonos has open and use it which are not mentioned on that list. You might call it internal ports, but it is very dangerous to not call them out. And the listed port all need inbound connection - another problem behind the firewall. And when we talk about firewall: they are now also used in homes - not only offices. So better to mention, that Sonos should not be able to drill holes into that wall.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos doesn't "drill holes into that wall". None of the ports that Sonos uses need to be open to connections from the internet. Sonos needs to be able to make connections out to the internet on SOME of the ports listed (some of the TCP ones), but definitely doesn't need inbound connections from the internet.
Sonos doesn't "drill holes into that wall". None of the ports that Sonos uses need to be open to connections from the internet. Sonos needs to be able to make connections out to the internet on SOME of the ports listed (some of the TCP ones), but definitely doesn't need inbound connections from the internet.

You could make a full time job could out of correcting his posts. 😃
I have been having the same problem, it seems that UDP port 1900 has to be opened. It is listed in this document. when closed I get these errors:

Unable to play x – connection to spotify was lost
Unable to play x - Song is not encoded correctly

The UDP i getting dropped in my final catch all drop rule.
Is there a way to secure the 1900 UDP connection to allow only from sonos? Any help would be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
That linked document is talking about firewall settings on the PC. The OP is talking about corporate firewalls, which are TOTALLY different. MikeV's answer is the one to use, ignore JackWright's.

It is confusion like this that causes users to open their home networks to the PewDiePie hack and other security nightmares.