Answered

How Do CR100 Owners Take Up the Sonos Offer to Stop Future OS Updates?

• 14 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Renowned Enthusiast II
  • 634 replies
Dear Ryan S,

In the Sonos announcement, CR100 owners were offered two options:-

1 - Stop using the CR100 or
2 - Stay with the current 8.4 OS and "freeze" all future OS updates.

Can you provide detailed step by step instructions on how users can take up option 2?

Many thanks
TJRL

7x CR100, 2x CR200, 1x ZP80, 7x ZP100, 1x iPod Dock, 1x Boost, 4x Play 1, 3x Play 3, 2x Play 5, 1x PlayBar & 1x Sub.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 14 March 2018, 18:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Why the duplicate post? You’ve been answered in the other thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi TJRL, I just replied to you here.

While there are ways to stop your system from updating, as described in the main Save the CR100 thread, we don't recommend doing it as a general rule. It's important for devices that are online and on your network to be able to keep updating. We always encourage Sonos owners to stay up-to-date with software upgrades, but if you do choose to take steps to ignore future software upgrades, you will no longer be able to add speakers, services or voice assistants to your Sonos system and that you will not receive new features or security patches. Additionally, opting not to update means you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium-ion battery in your controller.

I'm going to close this thread down, but if you have any questions feel free to reach out. You can always give us a call and speak with a technician live.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi TJRL, you're pretty active in the main CR100 thread, so you've got the latest regarding how to stop updating. There isn't a specific toggle or system setting that turns off updates or freezes your system at a version. You'd tell your players to stop automatically checking for updates, and then go through some steps to make sure your controllers don't do the same. I've seen the request for some process that does lock Sonos on a build and have passed it on to the team as a suggestion, but there's no news about if that will get added.

With Internet-connected devices, it's usually best to keep updating to make sure you're on top of security updates and protocol changes.

Hi Ryan S,

Sorry if I posted this question in the wrong place(s), I really have not go the hang of the "new" forum not coming here very often these days.

I understand and agree that turning future OS off is not a great idea (big understatement there) and only to done in extremist and when all other options have been exhausted.

As Sonos has offered us "option 2" of not updating the OS from April I was hoping that Sonos could provide an approved step by step list of actions to take that Sonos can stand behind to 100% reliably ensure that our systems will not updated.

Sort of a simple idiot proof (and I really need that!) bullet point list of what to do along the lines of:-

1 Go to the setting area in each controller and disable automatic updates.
2 Go to your router and ????
3 Go to your Hub and ????
4 ????

I have seen a number of "non-official" not Sonos endorsed set of directions put together by other users (which may well be very good and work) but I would feel much more confident with a Sonos endorsed procedure to follow.

Thank you for your time looking into this for me,
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I went ahead and moved your followup here for you, TJRL.

Our official recommendation isn't to pick one of the two. We don't recommend using any methods to stop updating your system. This is why we don't have a step by step guide on how to do it. The main thread has suggestions that'll cover what you would need to do if you decided to acknowledge and ignore the risk of the aging lithium-ion battery in your controllers. Opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system, not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100.

The steps that are necessary to take to avoid future updates will change based on what network equipment you're using. There isn't an endorsed set of directions since it isn't something that we recommend doing. As the community suggests, disabling access to the update servers would cover most of it. Also, you'd need to make sure not to update any controller that connects to your system, at any time, and that no devices at a different version number are added to the system. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
We don't recommend using any methods to stop updating your system. This is why we don't have a step by step guide on how to do it. The main thread has suggestions that'll cover what you would need to do if you decided to acknowledge and ignore the risk of the aging lithium-ion battery in your controllers.

I purchased my SONOS system for the purpose of playing music files from my NAS, and occasionally playing internet radio/alarm clock. I don't want your music services. As a matter of fact, I'd rather not see them on my precious CR100 anyway. I just want to play my files, as advertised, its original function.

I really hate the imagery of the "tin foil hat" but when you talk about the batteries spontaneously combusting in all three CR100s, it's the only thing I can think of. BTW, instead of adding the controllers to the landfill on the theory of bad batteries, they do make replacement batteries...why not sell those? I'd rather buy a replacement battery than wait a year for a coupon that is never coming, for a product that does not suit my purposes...or the original purpose of the device.

You all may have changed what you want your device to do, but I don't want it to change, and why should it? It works great as is. Playing little word games does not make it suddenly spontaneously combust or stop playing files as intended...but purposefully sabotaging it does....is that what you're saying?