Sonos Version 8.4 - Inbox and Alexa for Canada

• 27 February 2018
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Community Manager
  • 12389 replies

Introducing the Sonos app inbox

We’ve improved the ability to update you all with the most important information and get it right at your fingertips. Located within the More menu of your mobile controllers, the inbox makes all updates and messages easily accessible from within the app.

To see if you have a new message, look for a red dot on the More tab at the bottom of the screen.

Alexa on Sonos now available in Canada

Available today, English language control for Amazon Alexa is on the Sonos One in Canada. You can go to the More tab in your Sonos app and tap Voice Services to enable Alexa on your Sonos One.

The beta of our Sonos Skill for Alexa is now available in Canada as well, which you can install and use to wirelessly send commands from your Amazon Echo or Dot devices to your Sonos players.

To get started, enable the Sonos skill in your Alexa app.

Amazon Music for Alexa on Sonos Ones now available in Canada

With this update, we’re bringing Amazon Unlimited support to the Sonos One through Alexa. Add the service to your Alexa app and just ask for your music.

For now, Amazon Unlimited on Sonos is available through Alexa voice control in Canada. We’re working with Amazon to bring the Amazon Unlimited service to your Sonos apps later this year.

A message to all CR100 owners

We’re trying to reach as many people as possible, and so we are leveraging several methods to ensure everyone is informed of our update coming in early April that will disconnect the CR100 from Sonos systems. The update today includes a message visible on all CR100 controllers to inform owners of information they might have missed already in this forum or via email. For the discussion and main thread about this change to the CR100, please see this thread.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Still only 8.3 in release notes, as of 17:47 uk time....
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-3
No other controllers effected by update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Still only 8.3 in release notes, as of 17:47 uk time....
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/software/release/8-3
No other controllers effected by update?

This update is for all devices. The release notes should be updating on the website any time now, I believe all app stores already show the correct notes.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
OK 18.45 here in the UK. Nice notification from Sonos as described (red dot under the More tab etc.) Follow instructions as requested but nothing in the app store to update a controller (I-phone). Round and round and nothing happens? Never had this problem before. Anyone got any ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
OK 18.45 here in the UK. Nice notification from Sonos as described (red dot under the More tab etc.) Follow instructions as requested but nothing in the app store to update a controller (I-phone). Round and round and nothing happens? Never had this problem before. Anyone got any ideas?

With some recent App Store changes, it doesn't always update automatically and you have to pull down the menu (in the App Store) a few times to get it to update. Easy solution, just uninstall your Sonos app from the device and install it again. You won't lose any settings or playlists as those are all stored on your players. Just make sure you connect to an existing system.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan. Its just shown up in the app-store but won't upload. Will try again later or take your solution. Thanks again
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Tried on the mac and iOS. Getting this error message. Tried deleting the iOS app and reinstalling. Same thing. App tells me I have to update then get an error. This is irritating. Why do you release apps that have bugs? This is not the first time this has happened.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
And after the failed update attempts, only one device is showing in the app? C'mon SONOS, for a company that relies on software to operate its product, you need to do better than this!
As the other side of the coin, I’ve had no issues updating three iOS controllers via the App Store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Jayne, sounds like some trouble with the network connection that the players have. If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line. If you'd like to test out a few things first. The best starting place is just to reboot your Sonos players by unplugging the power for a few seconds. When they're back up, just go ahead and try the update again.
When can we expect Alexa to launch in Australia?
Ditto for India, with Alexa released there by Amazon before Canada?

And don't forget New Zealand! We're also on the Aussie Amazon/Alexa, and speak the same English language...
I imagine the date of release of Alexa for Australia/New Zealand/India will be announced exactly like the release of Alexa for Canada; on the day of release, you will see an announcement titled "Sonos Version 8.x - Alexa for Australia/New Zealand/India"
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We are committed to bringing Alexa voice control to Sonos systems in Australia in Autumn 2018 (that is Autumn in Australia).

Ditto for India, with Alexa released there by Amazon before Canada?
We haven't announced a timeline for Alexa support for systems in India yet, but I'll make sure to let you know as soon as I have details that can be shared.
I know Sonos does not consider India to be important as the above expressed lack of interest confirms as well, but this behaviour also reduces future chances of penetrating the largest smart phone market in the world after China, and one that uses English, by conceding the market by default to speakers that can work with Dot in wired or Bluetooth mode. As happened for two years in the US, leading to layoffs in Sonos, before Sonos managed to get a form of integration out in that market.
The Inbox feature; is this *only* for mobile devices? After updating the Mac controller the update message text suggests the Inbox can be found in the More menu, but of course there is no More menu for the Mac controller and I can not find the Inbox anywhere else. If this is a mobile only feature wouldn't it be a good idea to have different messages for different platforms?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Looks like one country at a time, an average of 2 months to release for one country . At that pace and development velocity few decades to cover 195 countries. Already getting old waiting Alexa support for sonos in India.
Already getting old waiting Alexa support for sonos in India.
Life is too short; get one of the many good speakers with line in jacks available now in India at a wide range of price points surrounding the Sonos ones, wire the Dot to it and move on to listening instead of waiting. The speaker you get does not even need to have bluetooth capability, use the one in the Dot for this if needed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Can I say that... I don't care much about Alexa and smart speaker functionality?
I am more for listening music, full stop.
The Sonos Alexa skill was also updated on Feb 27, 2018. Are there any changes to the voice commands the skill can process? Will the skill always be updated at the same time/rate as Sonos firmware?
I still can’t wrap my head around why Sonos is killing the CR100. I have a 10+ year old Logitech Dinovo keyboard and a 15 year old Denon remote controller with integrated lithium batteries and both have probably 1000 charges on them, still work perfectly, they haven’t bulged or exploded. Sonos’ paranoia is unjustified.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Introducing the Sonos app inbox

A message to all CR100 owners

We’re trying to reach as many people as possible, and so we are leveraging several methods to ensure everyone is informed of our update coming in early April that will disconnect the CR100 from Sonos systems. The update today includes a message visible on all CR100 controllers to inform owners of information they might have missed already in this forum or via email. For the discussion and main thread about this change to the CR100, please see this thread.

Der Ryan S,

In the Sonos announcement, CR100 owners are being offered two options:-

1 - Stop using the CR100 or
2 - Stay with the current 8.4 OS and "freeze" all future OS updates.

Can you provide detailed step by step instructions on how users can take up option 2?

Many thanks
TJRL

7x CR100, 2x CR200, 1x ZP80, 7x ZP100, 1x iPod Dock, 1x Boost, 4x Play 1, 3x Play 3, 2x Play 5, 1x PlayBar & 1x Sub.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi TJRL, you're pretty active in the main CR100 thread, so you've got the latest regarding how to stop updating. There isn't a specific toggle or system setting that turns off updates or freezes your system at a version. You'd tell your players to stop automatically checking for updates, and then go through some steps to make sure your controllers don't do the same. I've seen the request for some process that does lock Sonos on a build and have passed it on to the team as a suggestion, but there's no news about if that will get added.

With Internet-connected devices, it's usually best to keep updating to make sure you're on top of security updates and protocol changes.
TJRL

I thought the official Sonos Support position was that they want us all to update our systems.

In fact Ryan S says it’s 'best to keep updating to make sure you're on top of security updates and protocol changes'. Why would he now be expected to explain how to NOT update your system? ... you are asking him how to potentially leave your SONOS system vulnerable to potential security issues in the future.

It sounds to me that such a move is really for you to make on your own because of the potential vulnerabilities that may one day come to light.

You are either with Sonos or you choose to go it alone when you ignore their official advice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
TJRL

I thought the official Sonos Support position was that they want us all to update our systems.

In fact Ryan S says it’s 'best to keep updating to make sure you're on top of security updates and protocol changes'. Why would he now be expected to explain how to NOT update your system? ... you are asking him how to potentially leave your SONOS system vulnerable to potential security issues in the future.

It sounds to me that such a move is really for you to make on your own because of the potential vulnerabilities that may one day come to light.

You are either with Sonos or you choose to go it alone when you ignore their official advice.

Hi Ken,

You asked a couple of questions which I will do my best to answer,

"I thought the official Sonos Support position was that they want us all to update our systems." - It is and I would like to follow this route (but not at the cost of losing proper control of my Sonos system).

"Why would he now be expected to explain how to NOT update your system?" - Because Sonos offered this as an option, even if they did not recommend it. Here is the Sonos statement:-

"Here are your options:

•Accept the upgrade, understanding that your CR100 will no longer connect. This is our strong recommendation for two reasons: 1) due the age of the battery in the controller, it has the potential to overheat when left charging for extended periods of time 2) you will continue to receive the latest features, bug fixes, and security updates. This is a far better solution for safety and performance reasons, but we realize you’ll need to transition to a new controller. We have resources available to help you get set-up on an alternate controller and are offering a coupon code to sonos.com to help make the transition easier (amount varies regionally, one per household).
•Ignore future upgrades, leaving your Sonos system on its current version. We do not recommend this option. If you do go this route, you are acknowledging the risk of the aging lithium ion battery in your controller. Additionally, opting not to update means you will not receive any new features or future security patches for your entire system – not just the CR100. For example, being on an unsupported version means that you might lose connectivity to music services, as is already the case for Google Play Music on the CR100. It is necessary to configure your system in advance to avoid future updates. Any update applied to the firmware and/or to the app, even unintentionally, is irreversible.".

Now lets be clear I do not want to stop updating my Sonos system and I am trying to understand the implications and mechanisms of the options Sonos have offered me.

So as Sonos have offered CR100 users the option to "ignore future upgrades" I do not think it is unreasonable to ask Sonos to detail how that option can be achieved, you of course may think I am being unreasonable, each to their own.:D