Can I create a "button" to automate playing music on my Sonos?

• 30 October 2015
  • 12 replies

Is there a way to automate playing music on my sonos? We have a play one in one of our bathrooms and the kids always put their music on it and when I use it I don't want to go through the multiple menus to play my music.

We use Rhapsody and the kids usually have a playlist that they play. I usually use one of the radio stations 80's rock.

On the sonos controller you have to go through 4-5 menu's to get to this particular station and it is laborious.

I'm thinking of a "button" a zee wave button, an amazon "dash" button or something similar that has a single purpose. Push it and it sends the proper commands to sonos to tell it to play rhapsody channel "80's rock" on this play1 at this volume. Thats all it does. We could have another button that plays the kids play list. No need to navigate the controller at all, just push and play.

Has this been done? Can this be done. Seems like it would be a great feature.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Macronos app for your Android phone.
I don't want to have to find a phone to do this. I just want to place cheap buttons that perform a single a simple task. I grabbed my sonos controller and it took 5 menu selections to select a zone, select a music source and drill down to select a particular channel to play. I want to hit a button and have it do all that.

Aren't there API's available for computers that would allow me to craft a statement to SELECT ZONE "Master Bathroom", then SELECT SOURCE "Rhapsody, Channels, 80's Rock" then SET VOLUME 75% then PLAY. Then I can go to zwave button makers and program a button that will execute this command.

If 3rd party developers are writing sonos software (including tigget for Blackberry), then they have exposed these commands and and can communicate with sonos.

Thanks,

Roveer
Macronos does exactly what you are describing, on an Android device. Get yourself a $15 LG prepaid phone from Best Buy, bypass the provider config, install Macronos, and leave it near the Sonos speaker.

There might be a similar app for a PC, but I wouldn't know, haven't owned a PC for years. They're so..... '90s. 😉
Macronos does exactly what you are describing, on an Android device. Get yourself a $15 LG prepaid phone from Best Buy, bypass the provider config, install Macronos, and leave it near the Sonos speaker.

There might be a similar app for a PC, but I wouldn't know, haven't owned a PC for years. They're so..... '90s. ;)

I just took a look at Macronos. Interesting software and does have "shortcuts". Using a phone for this application would not make sense. It's just to ill fitting, would need to be charged would get moved etc. a button that can be mounted as a simple device is what I'm looking for.

I know there is a way to send sonos a command whether it be from a PC, a zeewave controller etc would do what I want so that's the path I'm going to take. Also, cheapest "prepaid" on bestbuy is 29 bucks. Computers are not so 90's it's just that everyone seems to think they can take in the whole world on a 5.4 inch display. Doesn't really work when details matter. Don't see many people coding on a cell phone. Don't be so quick to condem just because your needs don't require it.

Thanks for your contribution.

Roveer
What would this button be on? Wouldn't you have to also find this device that the button resides on? Mount the phone near the speaker and tell everyone hands off. Simple.
What would this button be on? Wouldn't you have to also find this device that the button resides on? Mount the phone near the speaker and tell everyone hands off. Simple.

A phone... No, I don't want another screen. I don't want another charger, I don't want to have to train my family on how to launch an app... I want a button.

Or better yet, a "dash" button, which I've read can be hacked to use for any purpose.

This isn't about hacking a cell phone and gluing it to the wall. It's about getting the right device and keeping it incredibly simple. Press the button, music plays.

Now I've been searching and I see that you can interface with sonos via xml commands. I've posted in the advanced forum and emailed a programmer who posted lots of informaiton. I see this as two seperate tasks. first crafting a command in whatever language I need and sending it to sonos. Second tying it to a device that can trigger this event. I think I can probably get that to work. It's the crafting the command part that I'm really looking for.
Closest thing I can find is a project using an RFID card, that you could keep on your keychain. Raspberry Pi, etc.

https://github.com/murali44/Sonos_RFID_Controller
I got it to work!!!

I used a zwave Aeon minimote to trigger custom code from the zwave controller to my Kitchen PC which is always on. Once the PC receives the command it hits a program called eventghost which then executes a python script using soco https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/python-soco which sends a command to the Sonos speaker that starts it playing Rhapsody 80's Hits at 75% volume. Works in 2 seconds or less, every time perfect... Nice thing is I've got a total of 4 button on this little remote to put other things on (more stations).

When I set my mind to something I usually stay with it till it works.

Oh, I also ordered a DASH button and will eventually get around to playing with it. I've got RPi's lying around that could be used for the sniffer. Found this url on how to set up the DASH button and sniffer: https://medium.com/@edwardbenson/how-i-hacked-amazon-s-5-wifi-button-to-track-baby-data-794214b0bdd8#.dokgv8zh0

Fantastic little Sonos hack. One button press and off I go.

Roveer
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
great idea, cool project!
Userlevel 1
Just found this thread. I've been getting Amazon Dash buttons to work with Sonos. Surprisingly easy, though soco was a bit to get used to. Good success with playing tunein radio stations. Now it's time to try getting Pandora to work.
Userlevel 1
Any update regards getting the Dash buttons to start Sonos playing?? just found this thread and want a simple button to just continue playing my Sonos where it last was
Why not use the Play button/controls on the top of every Sonos unit?