Apple Watch

• 13 April 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3
When will Sonos have an Apple Watch App? At least an app to control basic functionality, such as mute, volume, etc, would be very beneficial. This would be a great way to further enhance an already great product.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

It's unfortunate that the search function on these boards is a complete fail, otherwise I'd point you to several other threads about this issue, but since I can't easily find them, let me summarize, and paraphrase.

1) Many people have asked this question.
2) Sonos has said "we'll pass this on to the team"
3) Sonos will continue to say 'we don't share our roadmap for development except in extreme circumstances like Apple Music, Spotify and Amazon Echo/Alexa integration"
4) There's other developers on both android and iOS devices that have released apps that attempt to do this, with reports that seem to indicate varying success.
5) No one is willing to say if they're working on it or
6) when/if it will be released.
I use Sonobit but you can only volume control and pause and play. I wish you could edit groups or speakers or choose music but you can't
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has commented that if using Apple controller and Apple Watch you will get the lock screen control on the Apple Watch and that is as far as they really want to go with it. There are several third party options as well. Not sure the exact functionality looking for but primarily just for control function. I grouping etc that I know of.

They seem focused on voice control right now vs multiple wearables.
I'm trying to figure out how you would implement a grouping screen on something the size of a watch. Compared, for instance, to the size of my finger.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok I looked up sonobit and zoneplay and they both will do grouping. Zoneplay shows playing favorites. I had zoneplay a long time ago when in beta but never got into using my watch for Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
on Zoneplayer the grouping screen is accessed by force touch on a playing room. This brings up a scrollable window that has 4 rooms showing at a time. Just touch room names to add them to group. Very slick little app.
If you're using the Sonos app on the iPhone linked to your watch, Apple Music can control some aspects including volume and song choice (and I've been using it for months). Recently this broke for me with an update from sonos and I reached out to customer service who don't appear to have any knowledge of this functionality (see email thread below). Just as randomly, with updates to both iOS and sonos, it started working again. Most likely engineers at Sonos and Apple could explain this but tech support is completely unaware as you can see from the thread.

I know there's no official app; I'm talking about the Apple Music app which controls the music (including volume) that's playing on Sonos (from any source, my onsite Library, Amazon Music, TuneIn Radio, Apple Music etc.) Maybe you should talk to your engineers.....I was hoping you knew why it stopped working but it's clear that you're not even aware of this functionality. Here's hoping it doesn't break again. Anyway, it's now working again (I'm not sure why) so you can close this case.

Watch?

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Ashley R.) 07/27/2017 02:41 PM
Hi William,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, there's never been an official Apple Watch app for Sonos. Therefore, it sounds like you were using a third-party app that's designed a lot like ours -- unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to tell you why that app had stopped working as we don't support the Apple Watch as a controller. I'm glad to hear it's working again for you though -- enjoy the music!

Thanks for choosing Sonos to fill your home with music.

Warm regards,

Ashley R

Customer By Email (William L) 07/26/2017 09:39 PM
Before the latest update, it worked seamlessly with Apples music app on the Apple Watch and then stopped. Now, after another update, it does so again. No third party apps were involved. I'm surprised you're not aware of this functionality and what happened. Regardless, serendipity strikes and it is working again so I'm happy. Maybe it's just magic....?
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 10:45 AM Sonos - Technical Support wrote:
--

Response Via Email (David P) 07/23/2017 10:45 AM
Hello William,

Thank you for contacting Sonos Customer Care. At this time, we do not officially support/make any Sonos Software for smart watches. You may have downloaded a 3rd party app where someone else has created a smart watch app.

Thank you again for contacting Sonos,
Best regards,

______
David P.
Sonos | Customer Care Representative | Customer Care
Ask questions, find answers, and share your thoughts on the Sonos Community.

Customer By Web Form (William L) 07/22/2017 09:24 PM
What happened to controlling my sonos from my watch? It went away after my most recent update....I miss it.
apple watch app!! please expedite! we love sonos because it's easy, simple, and works with gagdets!!
It would be nice to know if there are plans for a Sonos app for iWatch. What is the secret??:?
Would LOVE an Apple Watch app. Especially helpful for gym professionals controlling music for classes. How can we add a "+1" for this feature?!
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi, i use ZonePlay from the apple app store and it works pretty well on my watch, i can control the 3 ‘’rooms’’ that we have setup, ZonePlay par Betware Limited. Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonobit I beleive is popular for Apple Watch as well. You do get play controls via Apple lock screen control for playing music without any app.
Come on Sonos - I have spent so much with your company and if you want me to continue get with the watch app.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are plenty of third party watch apps and the lock screens controls work natively on watch now playing
Apple Watch App pleased, especially for EQ, Switch Sound Mode (e.g. movie, silence), Turn on/Off Sub
Badge
Some companies are better at listening to their customers than others. And it's a shame that Sonos hasn't capitalized on gold mine of great ideas in this community....