Alarms - Grouped Rooms

• 26 August 2014
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 2
New feature request. Would be nice addition to the alarms function if instead of just being able to have grouped rooms included in the alarm, being able to select which rooms to group for the alarm. In my scenario, I have certain rooms that are grouped at night for a bedtime alarm that begins a certain playlist. In the morning, I would like to have an alarm that plays a morning playlist in a list of grouped rooms that are not necessarily the same as the bedtime alarm. Now those rooms have to be already grouped in order for an alarm to work. I want to be able to specify which rooms should be grouped when the alarm is executed, even if they are not currently grouped.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Badge +2
Hear, hear...!!!
I was about to ask the same for my morning routine.
🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes, in my case I would like to play the alarm in my bedroom together with the bathroom, but as those rooms are not grouped together during the day, I have to repeat the grouping every night. Also would be great to be able to give names to alarms (for instance "Monday morning alarm").
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Replying because someone I know suggested this feature in the beta feedback and they may or may not have told him or her to come to this thread.

This needs to be a thing. Because 1) Someone might want to group different speakers at different times of day; or 2) your crappy Internet and/or crappy router might drop your connection before your alarm is scheduled to play, losing your grouped speakers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
One thing in my wonderfull Sonos system really irritates me
We use alarms a lot, in the morning in 4 different rooms, but if I do not group them they
are not in sync, fair enough.
But if I set them up in grouped mode, the sync ok, but now I do not have any control of the sound level,
meaning that waking up can be a noisy affair.
But what desides what sound level to use in the different synced groupes?

Allso, when pressing "advanced" you get another two choises, they should be moved to the normal settings page
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
The alarms could really do with some attention.
Why can't an alarm just 'play' what it was playing beforehand? Why does it have to wipe out the whole queue every time it is used?
Has this feature been added yet? I've set up two speakers with the same alarm but it's always out of sync.
Userlevel 1
I have the same request/issue. Playbar in lounge, Play1 in kitchen. At night the grouping of the two speakers is often split. But in the morning it would be great if the alarm (a radio station) would re group the speakers so where I make breakfast and where I eat breakfast could be synced up.

Setting up two alarms is an option, but then the audio via an internet stream can be ever so slightly out.
Userlevel 1
Im surprised more people don't have this issue as well. Seems a basic bit of functionality.
Badge +2
Its about time to deliver this simple request (and Fix the New horrible interface...)
Userlevel 1
it is simply UNBELIEVEBLE why sonos can‘t cope with grouped alams. it is a DAILY PAIN IN THE ASS - wake up and manually sync the payere that started voa alarm.

Wake up somos - and offer this timy nice functionalizy. imagine it can be 300x a negative feeling towards sonos just becaise you forgot it?
I'm sure the total of 10 replies over 3 years has something to do with the priority of this "problem".
Userlevel 1
thank you for this sensible answer. some people just know thw world.
thank you for this sensible answer. some people just know thw world.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but in the world of software development, priorities must be established, and a total of 10 posts in three years is definitely a factor in whether the budget and manhours are best spent on this, or on other projects that may result in more sales or more customers served. Sorry, but that is a cold fact of commerce.
Completely agree with the suggestion.
Alarm and grouped rooms is something that should be sorted without any complaints. It is a simple way of making the alarm function better, we should not have to complain, Sonos should be doing improvements without our direction. Given 1 day with Sonos i could point out things that are school boy errors with the system.
Competition is hot, Sonos must not stand still.
Alarm and grouped rooms is something that should be sorted without any complaints. It is a simple way of making the alarm function better, we should not have to complain, Sonos should be doing improvements without our direction. Given 1 day with Sonos i could point out things that are school boy errors with the system.
Competition is hot, Sonos must not stand still.

While I agree that it seems like an easy win for Sonos to do, I think you're way overestimating it's effect on sales of new products.
Can we agree Sonos is looking at the short term profit, rather than the long term satisfaction of its customers?. Personally i find Sonos a pain to use and not engaging.
I have a Sonos unit in every room, but my family play all there music out off there ipads, ipods or imac's. What a waist of money. Grrrr
Can we agree Sonos is looking at the short term profit, rather than the long term satisfaction of its customers?. Personally i find Sonos a pain to use and not engaging.
I have a Sonos unit in every room, but my family play all there music out off there ipads, ipods or imac's. What a waist of money. Grrrr

Considering one of the main reasons for not adding features is the very limited memory in the older Sonos products, I would say Sonos is more interested in the long term satisfaction of customers, even those going back 13 years.
Can we agree Sonos is looking at the short term profit, rather than the long term satisfaction of its customers?

No, I can't agree with that. If that were the case, Sonos would not add new features to existing products whenever possible, they would push you into buying new ones.

. Personally i find Sonos a pain to use and not engaging.

Although the app could probably use some improvement, Sonos has certainly been working on providing more ways for you to control the music, from voice control, direct music app control, airplay 2.
I don't think i have downloaded a new feature, that i have thought i was missing in the first place.
Sounds interesting - new improvements, but i would just like features that make the Sonos grouping more flexible.
I have all the above tec in the car, but i still use the buttons - they just work. lol
While it requires additional hardware, I have Lutron smart lights in my home with an associated bridge. The bridge recognizes my Sonos players and I can schedule a specific Sonos favorite (in my case an internet radio station) to play in a room or rooms, and can specify the volume to start playing in each room. I can schedule this or invoke this and other "scenes" using Alexa voice control. It's not a Sonos native solution, but since I already had Lutron products and the bridge before I purchased any Sonos products it works great for me at "no extra cost".

I don't mean to minimize the feature request. I'm posting to share my experience in case it helps someone else.
four years later and still we have alarms for ONE room with 'include grouped rooms' - it's just a terrible UX. Is there any hope we can have alarms for multiple rooms?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
My full support for this suggestion.
Over the years i assume many more customers now have multiple rooms and would love to have a more flexible system than just “play in grouped rooms”