Answered

YouTube Music playlist - Unable to browse music

Userlevel 1

Hi there, 

When tapping into my "My Likes" YTM playlist in the S2 app on Android, I get a message "Unable to browse music."

This is a large playlist, and another large playlist in my library has the same problem. From Google searching, I've seen reports from about 2 years ago of the same issue, though it appears that it was resolved back then.

I've reinstalled the S2 app, and removed and re-added my YTM account. My sense is that this is caused by the 999 song limit in the YTM API.

This playlist worked fine up until very recently, and its been well over 999 songs for a long time. I'll guess that either something has changed on the YTM API side, or the approach Sonos is using to workaround that limit (perhaps fetching only 999 songs from large playlists) is no longer working.

I expect a response from Sonos might be that it's a YTM problem, and to contact them, but I do hope that Sonos engineers can take a close look at the Sonos side just to be sure.

Thanks for great products, 

Greg

icon

Best answer by Deato 10 June 2023, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 1

Actually, I should ask... Is anyone else having this problem? 

Yes, just noticed it the other day. All of my large playlists cannot be browsed.  I hope they fix it soon, there are workarounds, but I have to grab an IOS device to go through Airplay. Very annoying.

Userlevel 1

I have that Problem too. The Playlist is 700+ long. Very annoying!

Edit: Found a work around if you long press on the playlist, you can start the Playlist over the menu that opens up. Hope that works for you too. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you for that work around! It does work for me. 

That worked for me too. Thanks so much!

Badge

Same. Can't browse YouTube Music songs list nor Your Likes playlist. Both have had 999+ songs for years. First occurred ~2 years ago, disappeared after ~1 week, worked seemingly fine until last weekend, reoccurred now. Thank you @Deato for the workaround, works for me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Same here.  Started happening a day or so ago.

Workaround does work, thanks @Deato , but hope Sonos finds a way to make this work again.

I am having the same issue. I found that when you go to your library menu, it will display your likes folder and all of your play list floders. If you push and hold on your likes folder for a few secods, a display will pop-up  giving you the option to play your likes list. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Edit: Found a work around if you long press on the playlist, you can start the Playlist over the menu that opens up. Hope that works for you too. 

Thanks for that, it works for me as well.👍 My cynical side says software engineers must put these bugs in to keep themselves in a job. 😉😁

Userlevel 1
Badge

Deato,

thanks for that workaround...Sonos may never get this issue worked out, and they are unaware of the workaround. i just spent a hour on the phone with them (and an email to the CEO), so i will report this workaround to them which will hopefully get them a little closer to a fix…

sc

Yup, same issue and the issue didn’t start for me until yesterday (I had been playing that same playlist right before it happened). Thinking there was either a Sonos our YTM update that caused the issue but I’m leaning towards YTM as I didn’t see the Sonos app update come through. Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the workaround!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m seeing the problem too. First started for me a few days ago, so suspect it’s due to an update; either Sonos or Youtube Music.

The workaround works for me. Thanks so much @Deato.

Excellent workaround, Thanks!!

Same problem. Just started happening. Spent 2 hours chatting with Sonos support to no avail. Two of my 18 playlists no longer work; one had 572 songs and the other has 1354 songs.

The long press suggested above does not work for me. 

Updated SONOS app and now will “browse music” but truncates long playlists at 500 songs, @Deato ‘s fix does not work anymore. Anyone else having this issue?

Userlevel 1

Updated SONOS app and now will “browse music” but truncates long playlists at 500 songs, @Deato ‘s fix does not work anymore. Anyone else having this issue?

You are right. I have this problem now too. Annoying! 

Badge

Updated SONOS app and now will “browse music” but truncates long playlists at 500 songs, @Deato ‘s fix does not work anymore. Anyone else having this issue?

Yep, same. I can only listen to songs and albums whose title starts with a special character, number, or ‘A’, artists whose name starts with a special character, number, ‘A’, or ‘B’, or a limited selection of my favorites on my ~1500€ speakers. Thanks, Google and Sonos.

You are right. I have this problem now too. Annoying! 

Same.  Only 500 songs show up on the 2 playlists I was having problems with.  This is a worthless solution.  I’ve spent years curating my playlists; it would be nice to hear them when I want.  This isn’t a SOLUTION, it’s a downgrade.

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone, 

Found a new workaround, you have to split the playlist in smaller bits <499 and then reassemble the new playlists in Sonos. Not really satisfactory and also strange that this works, but it works. 

Badge

Hello everyone, 

Found a new workaround, you have to split the playlist in smaller bits <499 and then reassemble the new playlists in Sonos. Not really satisfactory and also strange that this works, but it works. 

How do you “split the playlist in smaller bits <499” without manually selecting <499 songs individually? I find no way to do this on music.youtube.com (Shift doesn’t work). And what if I wish to suffle everything instead of a playlist? I find no (easy) way to add everything to a playlist on music.youtube.com.

Hello everyone, 

How do you “split the playlist in smaller bits <499” without manually selecting <499 songs individually? I find no way to do this on music.youtube.com (Shift doesn’t work). And what if I wish to suffle everything instead of a playlist? I find no (easy) way to add everything to a playlist on music.youtube.com.

I’ve found that within music.youtube.com on my MacBook to select as many songs as you want try clicking on the box to the very right scroll down to whatever song below shift+click on its box and all songs in between will be selected. That’s how I created <499 playlists from larger playlists within YT music which you can import and combine within a sonos playlist. When adding new music to YTM to my >500 playlist I now add same song to a different playlist in YTM that only contains the new songs. I then import this ‘new song’ playlist and add to my >500 sonos playlist. It’s a pain LOL. 

Badge

Hello everyone, 

I’ve found that within music.youtube.com on my MacBook to select as many songs as you want try clicking on the box to the very right scroll down to whatever song below shift+click on its box and all songs in between will be selected. That’s how I created <499 playlists from larger playlists within YT music which you can import and combine within a sonos playlist. When adding new music to YTM to my >500 playlist I now add same song to a different playlist in YTM that only contains the new songs. I then import this ‘new song’ playlist and add to my >500 sonos playlist. It’s a pain LOL. 

"Shift+click" doesn't work for me. I asked in the YouTube Community and someone confirmed this isn't supported. Sonos now lists a new YouTube Music playlist option, but it only shuffles 500 songs. I gave up and started using iBroadcast instead. It shuffles all songs (without ads).

It seems like the "My Likes" playlist in the S2 app on Android is showing the message "Unable to browse music." This issue may be related to the 999 song limit in the YTM API, even though the playlist has exceeded this limit for some time. It could be a change on the YTM API side or a Sonos workaround no longer functioning correctly. While Sonos may suggest reaching out to YTM, it's worth having Sonos engineers investigate their side to be certain.

Moderator Note: Removed hyperlink. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.