Skip to main content
Answered

Youtube Music playlist

Youtube music isn't updating my playlist, I only have 3 Playlists in my library, 1 of which I use regularly which has roughly 900 songs. Within the SONOS app it's only displaying roughly 100 songs.

Things I've tried:

Reinstalled the sonos app/youtube music app

Turned off and on SONOS system, even factory reset both of them.

Removed the youtube service from the app and back.

Out of options is there anything to resolve this issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Nick.L 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When loading a playlist, the speaker will time-out after 20 seconds, so if the speaker is spending that long loading the playlist, the answer might be to improve the quality of the network connection the speaker has.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports about the situation.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Please refrain from further resets - they will not help.

Same issue here. This is happening on both S1 and S2 app. Spoke to Sonos support with case # ********. They brushed it off as something on YT’s end. This is extremely frustrating. Now you can see all the playlist when you look at the queue but not on the main page. Why can’t Sonos and YT communicate on this and have it resolved. This is happening recently so obviously someone here has changed a setting. 

Moderator edit: removed case number

I just came up with a solution. Import your complete YT playlist into a Sonos Playlist and you are able to see all of the songs. I know it’s not the a final solution but it takes care of the issue. 

I am having this same issue.

• I removed YT service from both new and old Sonos App on my phone and reloaded, but YT playlist will not update on Sonos.  
  • Do I need to remove the service from the Sonos App on my PC as well?

Greatly appreciate a solution.

The only way to resolve this issue is to create a new Sonos playlist from your YT playlist. There is no other way around it. You can access the new playlist from My Sonos section. 

It used to work, why did it stop?  When I used to use Napster, this was never an issue.

This is a recent issue. 

I am still unclear, given I can’t access my refreshed YT playlist on Sonos, how am I supposed to create a refreshed Sonos playlist from my stale YT playlist?

Have you added YT Music premium to your Sonos? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Nick.L 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

When loading a playlist, the speaker will time-out after 20 seconds, so if the speaker is spending that long loading the playlist, the answer might be to improve the quality of the network connection the speaker has.

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports about the situation.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Please refrain from further resets - they will not help.

@Corry P I think the playlist load timeout is ten seconds, not twenty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

I remember being told 20, but as I can find no documentation on the matter, I’ll take your word for it (until I can ask someone, at least 😁).

Yes, to be clear, I have added YT Music premium to my Sonos.  The playlist that shows up in Sonos (when using YT Music ) is no longer updating from the same/identical playlist from YT Music app.  

Normally, when I add a song to a playlist in my YT Music App, this will then show up in my playlist when using YT Music through Sonos, but now the playlist that I see in YT Music via Sonos are all stale. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mag2920 

I encourage you to get in touch with our technical support team to report this as cases and investigations will be needed, going by your description of what is happening. Please don’t expect an immediate resolution, however - we’ll likely need to work with YouTube Music on this.

After spending some time with Sonos tech support, they are blaming this on YT Music saying there is a 999 song limit on their end.  So any song added to YT over 999 won’t show up on your YT playlist when accessing it via Sonos.  I tested this theory and paired my YT playlist below 1,000.  But still no luck.  This clearly appears to be a Sonos issue connecting to YT Music.  (FYI - no issue with Napster in the past and I had more than 2,000 songs in playlist).

After more than a decade with Sonos and over $10,000 in equipment, I am ready to switch to Google Nest Audio.  Sonos products have become too expensive, they made all the first gen speakers useless with the app change, and they are not properly servicing one of the top streaming services. If they don’t fix this in the next 30 days all my Sonos products will be listed on ebay.

There is good reason the stock is down 75% from the highs!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mag2920 

I understand any frustration you may feel with getting in touch once more, but as you have already disproved their theory with it being due to the length of the playlist, I can only advise getting back in touch to report as much.

I am also having an issue having a full playlist of only 269 songs from loading from YouTube music premium.  Only 100 songs load.  I have a Spotify playlist that is also about the same length and that one completely loads.  I guess I am going to have to contact Tech Support but this seems to be an issue just with YT, at least for me anyways.

I am also having an issue having a full playlist of only 269 songs from loading from YouTube music premium.  Only 100 songs load.  I have a Spotify playlist that is also about the same length and that one completely loads.  I guess I am going to have to contact Tech Support but this seems to be an issue just with YT, at least for me anyways.

All issues such as this are the service’s responsibility.  Sonos merely provides an API, the service does the coding, including how many tracks can be added to the queue.  

Just talked with Tech Support and they acknowledged a problem loading YT playlists that is being worked on.  Now, I have no clue if it’s really being worked on.  Regardless of who is causing the issue (YT or Sonos), there should be some information available about the issue being real and what the cause really is driven by. If it’s posted somewhere, please provide the link.  Having people flailing around with their app, playlists, posting messages and calling about this seems like a negative for all involved.  

Just talked with Tech Support and they acknowledged a problem loading YT playlists that is being worked on.  Now, I have no clue if it’s really being worked on.  Regardless of who is causing the issue (YT or Sonos), there should be some information available about the issue being real and what the cause really is driven by. If it’s posted somewhere, please provide the link.  Having people flailing around with their app, playlists, posting messages and calling about this seems like a negative for all involved.  

You probably aren’t going to get an official statement from Sonos that it is YouTube’s fault.  They don’t tend to throw partners under the bus.  However, a glance at the developer’s page will tell you who is responsible for the development of the individual services within the Sonos app:

https://devdocs.sonos.com/docs/content-service-get-started

Particularly #2 under Build - 

1. Learn how to display content on Sonos.