Skip to main content

Worst App Update Ever

It appears that there is huge mass of us that are extremely disappointed and frustrated with this new app. Not sure if it matters or if anyone is looking, but adding my voice to the long line in hopes that Sonos will revert back to the former app. This new app is over-designed, dysfunctional and removed functionality. How on earth did this get approved to launch?! PLEASE Sonos team, admit you made a mistake, revert back to the old app so you can perfect whatever it is you were trying to achieve with this update. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I agree. The new app is terrible. The old app was much better. I've completely lost trust in Sonos. I have invested a lot in Sonos over the years but will not be buying any more of their products any time soon. They need to apologise and admit the faults in the app and provide an easy way for customers to install the old version until they fix the new one and bring back all the features. 

Badge

This is how you roll back on iPhone:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This assumes that you don’t have the latest firmware which is:

Version: 16.3 (build 80155014)

Badge

Ok, how can I see which firmware I have now? I did the rollback a week or two ago and then it worked fine. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Ok, how can I see which firmware I have now? I did the rollback a week or two ago and then it worked fine. 

Did you block firmware updates in the application?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You can check in the About Your System on the manage page. 

Badge

Did you block firmware updates in the application?

I had first updated just as everyone else - and hated the new app. I then got the tip which I refer to in my post. Didn’t have time to do anything about it first and kept on updating the Sonos app hoping things would improve. Then on July 5 I tried the work-around and could thus download the old verison of the app (I selected the last update before the May mayhem - which was the March 4 release ( 864228318 16.1 / 78.1.51030). It required me to remove itunes from my desktop and installing the older release of this as well (the version allowing downloads of apps) and it all worked.

I cannot “Manage” my system from my iphone or desktop (not updated), but in the about section of Sonos on my desktop I can see that my loudspeakers and amps have the version 16.2 build 79154060) (don’t know when these were last updated)

Badge

PS I didn’t turn of the automatic system updates in the iOS app until after I had made the rollback, so about 2 weeks ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@press250 

posted about this

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D229131/psa%2D16%2Djuly%2Dfirmware%2Dblocks%2Dv16%2D1%2Dapp%2D6899786

Badge

This assumes that you don’t have the latest firmware which is:

Version: 16.3 (build 80155014)

Is this because the latest firmware automatically updated also the speakers etc so that they cannot be recognised by a phone having an older version of the app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The newer firmware is prompting the app to update before it allows it to work 

Joining the list of disgruntled users. App crashes on start up. Takes at least 4 tries to get it working. It cannot keep track of what is playing without restarting the app. Is slow to respond and has lost my system twice in last 2 weeks.

Is appalling that a company that is meant to be a leader in distributed sound and remote control of music systems can get it so wrong and have no way of fixing the problem quickly. Iam Using android d 13. have had Sonos for over 10 years and this is the worst it has ever been.