Answered

Will Sonos support Apple Classical?

Userlevel 3

Apple has recently released a new music app called Apple Classical. It is solely for Classical music and solves the unique challenge of searching for classical music. 

Here’s a good outline of the service:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-music-classical-app-3325c6ba?st=rkiu2rgyqygxozh&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

I hope Sonos will support this on their app. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 31 March 2023, 10:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Michael_274 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

It is, however, ultimately up to Apple to add the new service - I recommend that you also make the request to them.

Music added to your library from Apple Classical is accessible on the Apple music app and Sonos

Hi @Michael_274 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!

It is, however, ultimately up to Apple to add the new service - I recommend that you also make the request to them.

I would love to see this feature enabled in Sonos, since Sonos is the music app that I use 90% of the time. Seems that someone from Sonos would be more effective in getting Apple to support it than any of us would.

I am not sure what you mean by it is up to apple to add the new service.  Do you mean that apple have to tell Sonos they would like to add it and you have to accede to the request.  The problem is that though there is a workaround in that you can get the music from apple classical on the apple music app and that can transfer over you do not on the playlists get all the data.  So you will have a play list which will not give all the data.  You will get eg 3rd movement adagio LSO but

crucially no composer

I am not sure what you mean by it is up to apple to add the new service.  Do you mean that apple have to tell Sonos they would like to add it and you have to accede to the request.  The problem is that though there is a workaround in that you can get the music from apple classical on the apple music app and that can transfer over you do not on the playlists get all the data.  So you will have a play list which will not give all the data.  You will get eg 3rd movement adagio LSO but

crucially no composer

Actually, “it is up to Apple to add the new service” is exactly what the poster meant.  Sonos is not responsible for adding services to their app.  All Sonos does is supply a free API.  It is up to the service themselves to implement their service/features using the Sonos API.  In fact, Sonos could not unilaterally add a new service if it wanted to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Gdawg_piano & @orzel 

Hundreds of music services can be added to Sonos systems but it is the third-parties who manage the integration of their services with the Sonos API (Application Programming Interface).

In fact, here’s our guide on exactly how it can be achieved: https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-get-started/

The way a new service being added would work is for Apple to integrate Apple Classical as a service to be made available to Sonos listeners to add to their Sonos systems. Unfortunately Apple Classical music is not a service that has been integrated yet, but we hope that in the future this service will be made available to Sonos systems.

I hope this helps.

Edit: @jgatie beat me to it

Seems that someone from Sonos would be more effective in getting Apple to support it than any of us would.

How so?  It’s the volume of customers who want access to the service through Sonos that will motivate Apple, so all Sonos could really do is forward on your request to them, rather than you making the direct request.  If you’re thinking Sonos has marketing data that Apple does not, I highly doubt that.

Would appreciate if Apple made Apple Classical Music fully available on Sonos without needing a workaround. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Gdawg_piano & @orzel 

You can add any of literally hundreds of music services to your Sonos systems and we could not possibly maintain each integration ourselves…

As much as we may sometimes like it to be otherwise, we do not dictate to Apple what they will or will not do. As paying customers, however, you can do exactly that.

So, it’s up to Apple to do it, and it’s up to you to let them know that they should - there is power in numbers, and if enough of you request it, it will be clear to Apple that it’s “what the people want”.

I hope this helps.

Sorry what’s this now? I had to double check you are a sonos employee! 

no, telling us that it is OUR responsibility to coordinate and facilitate adding access to a major streaming platform is absurd. 

why? We gave YOU thousands of dollars. Why? Because YOU allow us to use the music services we want to. If you didn’t, we would choose another option, for example home pods. 

so yeah, how about someone FROM SONOS work with Apple to make this possible FOR US. 

Or, how about someone who has an actual financial relationship with Apple use the influence of that relationship to place pressure on Apple, rather than relying on a company which has no financial ties at all, and couldn’t influence a trillion dollar company like Apple if it wanted to?

Everyone take a deep breath! I’m excited for Apple Classical too. Fortunately there is an easy process to play those songs through Sonos.

Apple Music and Apple Classical share the same playlists. So go into Apple Classical, choose your Brahms or Beethoven, and add those songs to a new playlist. Now go to Apple Music and, surprise, your new playlist is included in all your other playlists.

Assuming you’ve already connected Apple Music to Sonos, simply go into Sonos and select your new playlist to play your classical tunes in Sonos. 

Hi @Gdawg_piano & @orzel 

You can add any of literally hundreds of music services to your Sonos systems and we could not possibly maintain each integration ourselves…

As much as we may sometimes like it to be otherwise, we do not dictate to Apple what they will or will not do. As paying customers, however, you can do exactly that.

So, it’s up to Apple to do it, and it’s up to you to let them know that they should - there is power in numbers, and if enough of you request it, it will be clear to Apple that it’s “what the people want”.

I hope this helps.

Sorry what’s this now? I had to double check you are a sonos employee! 

no, telling us that it is OUR responsibility to coordinate and facilitate adding access to a major streaming platform is absurd. 

Corry did not suggest anything like ‘coordinate and facilitate’.  He’s just saying that making the request known to Apple directly will have more impact that Sonos trying to convince Apple to get it done, or trying to collect and pass on that information to Apple. If Apple decides they want to do this, I’m sure Sonos staff will happily assist in whatever way they can.

It’s pretty much like saying if you want Company X to make an iOS app, don’t ask Apple to make it happen, go talk to Company X.  Apple has already done all the integration and such on their side they can to make it happen.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Or, how about someone who has an actual financial relationship with Apple use the influence of that relationship to place pressure on Apple, rather than relying on a company which has no financial ties at all, and couldn’t influence a trillion dollar company like Apple if it wanted to?

Sonos has no financial relationship with Apple? They don’t count on classical music lovers to be stoked to be able to buy Sonos speakers because they integrate with Apple classical? That seems like a missed opportunity!

Sonos has no financial relationship with Apple? They don’t count on classical music lovers to be stoked to be able to buy Sonos speakers because they integrate with Apple classical? That seems like a missed opportunity!

Not directly.  Unlike those who actually pay Apple for their service, Sonos neither pays Apple, nor receives income from Apple for their implementation in the Sonos app.  So, unlike the subscribers, Sonos holds no leverage over Apple's willingness to improve that implementation.  Would they benefit? Possibly, though the market for classical is dwarfed by that of pop, rap, and even rock or country.  Can they influence a trillion dollar company by requesting "pretty please" to receive those benefits?  Come on, be serious, lol.

As an aside, I always get a kick out of people who will spend the time to make multiple posts arguing about Sonos' responsibility to do xyz instead of the actual subscribers, whereas using the time it takes to make just one of those posts to instead go and lobby the actual service (where it will do the most good) is somehow an impossibility.  It's such a strange dynamic.

Badge

I want to listen to classical music on my Sonos speakers - if I do it using the regular Apple Music app then all is good but that app is very deficient when it comes to finding things to listen to. On the other hand the Apple Classical app is better at finding music and sharing information about it but I can’t use it other than by listening on my phone (poor speakers, tiny and tinny) … in which case why have I spent money on Sonos equipment? Some people here seem to be suggesting that it is possible to play music from the Classical app on Sonos speakers without using the Sonos app … how is that done? Would someone care to share the secret please - I really don’t want to be faffing around with playlists. Thanks.

Badge +20

Sparroworks - use the Apple Clasical App and then Airplay to Sonos speakers.

I use airplay to cast to my Sonos Roam speaker, and then put that speaker in a Sonos group which includes non-airplay compatible Sonos speakers. It’s a little bit of a pain, but it’s definitely cheaper than buying a new airplay-enabled Sonos speaker.

Hopefully Apple will soon step up and do the API work so that we can use the native Apple Classical app without workarounds.