Why is there no re-boot option in the app?

• 18 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This has been an ongoing but seemingly ignored request by Sonos, but why is there no reboot option from the app?

I have a regrettable $6,000+ Sonos system that is awful. It cuts out all the time and with every phone call to tech support I’m given a list of excuses why they’re cutting out and ultimately I think it’s their software. On the most recent phone call I was told one of the zones that was presently playing did not exist. Anyway, in addition, with each tech support call I am told to reboot all of my Sonos devices. The only way to do this is to physically unplug them and plug them back in. OR, they can do it for you remotely.

1. I have 11 Sonos products.
  2. So unplug them and plug them all back in is a PITA.
  3. One of them requires I move my refrigerator.
  4. Another requires I climb up into my attic.
  5. Another requires I move my entertainment center and television.

For a company that sells accessories specifically with aesthetics in mind so a person may conceal the wires, they sure make using the products difficult. There really should be an option in the app to reboot each device individually and the entire system together. I totally understand this is a software run system, and just like your phone or PC, it needs to be restarted on a regular basis. Then make it easier to do.

I do not expect anything to change since there are identical requests dating back many years for this feature and it has yet to happen. But thought I’d air my frustration here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

It doesn't need to be restarted on a regular basis.  My system works flawlessly, and it only gets rebooted by a software update or a power failure in my neighborhood.  The secret is to refresh your entire network, then go into your router setup and assign a reserved IP address to each Sonos device.  I did this 15 years ago, have had no problems since and never have to reboot anything.

Badge

A ‘clunky‘ fix would be to install Bluetooth controlled power outlets and manage them from a phone app. That is my plan for our cinema set up where I manually power 5 devices on and off every-time we use it. I realise it shouldn’t be necessary to fix a system issue though, but…😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My “reboot Sonos” option. Two switches for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0845PYFPK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you need to reboot consistently I suggest that you follow the steps in my post: