Why is Sonos App so bad and why won't Sonos fix the problems?

• 12 December 2023
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 4

I have raised this issue multiple times. Numerous users have also raised the issue. The Sonos App is clumsy, complicated, counterintuitive to use. Most importantly, IT DOES NOT WORK. It keep losing connection. I want Sonos support to stop telling me that it is because of my devices or my Wifi set-up. It is not. It is because the Sonos App is badly coded, full of bugs and quite frankly the worst I have tried of all music app, by a long shot. The hardware is fantastic. The software is simply shameful. Sonos. PLEASE FIX IT.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Well I have the same frustrations with Sonos. It got to the stage that I just switched them off for 6 months. Now I'm back trying to use them. I thought that it was magically working, but today it can't find one of my speakers.

The problem is that it requires too much knowledge about how to set up your WiFi. I just want to be able to play music. I'm back to using a Bluetooth speaker, it doesn't sound as good, but it just works.

I have a play5 and a connect, both connected to the router rather than to the TP link powerlines that I have. It works sometimes, then whilst playing the app (on android) loses one or both of the speakers. I can keep playing from the music queue.

@JHT2,

Your entire system is likely not using your WiFi if you have not disabled the adapters on your wired Sonos devices. So the user/system doesn’t need to know anything about how to setup using your WiFi, with some exceptions and those are related to portable devices and the new Era products, which are not listed in your community profile. Also you need to heed the Sonos system requirements, as powerline adapters are not supported by Sonos. See here: 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-system-requirements

It’s likely your network setup/adapters that are giving rise to your Sonos system issues. I suspect the setup is giving rise to multicast broadcast ‘device discovery’ problems… a solution might be to blacklist the Sonos MAC addresses and the controller MAC addresses and prevent them from using the powerline segment of your LAN and see if that perhaps resolves things for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

A sample of 90 users from the thousands of Sonos owners, @Dodders 

Check out the Bose ratings on the same website: 97% of 386 reviewers rate them 1or 2 star.