Skip to main content
Answered

Why is playing songs via Spotify directly to Sonos more stable than playing it through the native app?

• 18 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi,

we are facing this particular situation now for some months.

We get a considerable amount of “unable to add tracks to the queue” kind of messages or the Sonos S1 app that just doesn’t want to play any songs. Immediately after this happens, I go to Spotify, play the very same song and select the same Sonos speakers. The song is directly played through the selected Sonos speakers in their respective rooms. 

Can anyone explain to me why the Sonos app can not play songs from its own environment and Spotify can? What are the possible reasons for this behavior and what are the solutions?

Apparently it is not a network issue as via Spotify the Sonos speakers work instantly and stable. 

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Apieche 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Spotify Connect works by delivering the instruction of what to play to the speaker via the cloud, whereas the Sonos app communicates over the local network with the speakers to give them the instruction of what to play.

Therefore, it’s very likely that the issue you have using the Sonos app is network related, but not anything to do with the speakers’ connection to the internet specifically. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, thanks for your reply. I’ll contact the technical support and hope they can help.